Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Forgot the bottom board screeen! Ha, ha.

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  martinvermillion64 
#1 ·
I installed a couple of packages today. I was rushing because it was about to rain, and I forgot that I hadn't yet put the hardware cloth on one of the bottom boards. So when I poured, it rained bees, straight through the super and onto the ground beneath. Ha, ha. Well, I suppose I'll just wait a few days, let them find their way back up onto the frames, and then switch out the bottom board. Anyone else ever done this before? :eek:

#4 ·
It's been a day and things look ok. They're foraging, hanging around the entrance. Looks normal. There's a new queen that they should be working on springing from her cage, so I doubt they're going anywhere. I'm going to wait five days, to let the queen get situated and accepted before disturbing the hive to put the screened board in. You seem skeptical. Why?

#7 ·
I put a box together once with the handle side inside on one side. Didn't realize it til I went to grab them a few days later. Still haven't decided what to do with it yet, I've been putting it off and using it around a mason jar feeder. And of course I glued the crap out of it!

#9 ·
Bees adapt well and probably hardly have given it a thought.Actually doubt bees think they operate on instinct. This is something humans seem to have a huge problem with.Long as the queen is in the box and the bees have had time to accept her the rest should be history. This is my experience others may have had a different result.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.