Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

New-ish package - slow to build out frames?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jadell 
#1 ·
I installed a package about April 1st here in NorCal, putting it into a deep with a mixture of drawn comb and new foundation (probably 6 drawn frames and 4 new foundation, with frames more or less alternating). I've been feeding it, though they're not taking a lot via the entrance feeder (perhaps just one jar every few days), perhaps as spring is here and flowers are blooming everywhere. Checked it today and all seems to be going well, but I noticed that they've drawn little to no new comb on the new foundation and instead are almost all gathered on the old comb.

The brood pattern looks fine on some of the old frames so the queen appears to be healthy. I presume it's just a matter of time until they get to the new frames?

My intent is to add a second brood box (again with a mixture of old comb and new foundation) once the first box is 80% built. Would it have been better to have started the package on 100% old or 100% new frames? Or does it really matter in the long run?

Thanks!

#2 ·
New here but I've noticed that my bees wouldn't build on new foundation as long as they had any kind of alternative.

My guess is that in the long run it won't matter. I expect they will start building on new foundation once they have filled every cell of the drawn comb. If they are like my hive last year they would only be using about four or five frames at this point anyway so it makes since that they would occupy the drawn frames first and only bother with the foundation once they have no choice.

#3 ·
I personally would have put in all drawn comb. That way they could get to making more bees! I would add the foundation later, once a cycle or two of brood hatched. I would also loose the entrance feeder by putting it in an empty box on top of the inner cover hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.