Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Moving Hives

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  debrabrownbear 
#1 ·
I have 2 hives that I need to move about 10 feet from their current location. If I take them to another yard (3 miles away) for 24 hours, and then back to their original location (but 10 feet away), will this be enough time for them to accept the new location and not try to gather where they had been originally?

#2 ·
I have had no problems moving hives personnelly. I wait till dark then screen the front then move one hive to new location then the other one. remove the screens. the next day they well come out and reoreante with the sun before leaving to forage and come back to the new site. oh if you must use a light make it red light so as not to have the guard bees attack the light and you.

john

#3 ·
Place some brush or branches with leaves over the entrance so that the bees wake up and notice that things have changed. That will make them stop and look around and notice that home has moved. Otherwise, they may fly off and not notice that home is not where it was. Bee like people often drive to work in a daze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.