PDA

View Full Version : which plastic foundation???

wglord
11-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I need to buy 1000 sheets of deep plastic foundation to put into Dadant frames. Any opinions based on recent experiences? I have some older Dadant plastic frames that are poor quality compared to Pierco. What about current Dadant plastic foundation? How about Mann Lake vs. Pierco? Pierco certainly costs more. Any advice appreciated!

AmericasBeekeeper
11-25-2011, 09:26 PM
A thousand sheets is ten cases. You can buy direct and save a bundle. Nic ships Pierco to Tampa Florida for me and shipping is very little at hundred weight.

Mtn. Bee
11-25-2011, 09:52 PM
How about Mann Lake vs. Pierco? Pierco certainly costs more. Any advice appreciated!

Pierco is cheaper than Mann Lk. if you buy direct in quantity from Nick.
I ordered a pile of it about 2 yrs. ago and Nick really worked with me to get me the best deal on
product and shipping cost. I highly recommend doing business with him! :)
I recommend the black snap in foundation in wooden frames!
Now I have to talk him into starting production on foundation for 7 5/8" boxes as I have been
cutting down my deep pierco to fit. :)
(just my 2 cents on what has worked best for me after years of trying different options)

pascopol
11-26-2011, 07:29 AM
If one reads lots of threads on this board regarding foundation, black Pierco inserts
used with wooden frames seem to be a consensus among beeks.

This configuration is being used by many commercials, running thousands of hives.

7 5/8 box is a logical and practical solution to deep/medium dilemma. 7 1/8 frame has about 20% more area and cells than Illinois frame.

I am thinking to take a plunge and try 7 5/8 box, then perhaps use them exclusively.

Fuzzy
11-26-2011, 07:48 AM
If you want it to fit properly, use dadant Plasticell with dadant frames.
I tried ritecell in dadant frames and it does not fit well. Had to cut every sheet longwise.

jdpro5010
11-26-2011, 09:51 AM
I use Dadant's Plasticell in medium frames. It works very well for me.