PDA

View Full Version : Bee sting remedy?



StrikerSonic
05-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Hello, all! Whenever I get stung by one of my gals I swell up pretty good. Nothing dangerous, just a lot of localized swelling for 2-3 days. Does anyone have a remedy to prevent this? I use ice, baking soda paste, and antihistamines. These three treatments are better than nothing, but still not a complete success. And yes, upon being stung I immediately remove the stinger to prevent added venom.
Any ideas?

Fuzzy
05-30-2011, 10:46 PM
No remedy here.

Perhaps getting stung more often will eventually minimize the issue. However, there is a 50/50 chance it will also get worse with more stings.

With me it takes a good 7 days to go away sometimes a bit longer. Keep some liquid benedryl around in case it goes the wrong direction.

alpha6
05-30-2011, 10:51 PM
You body should react less and less as you get stung more. I see people that react more in the spring as they havent been stung through the winter and by the middle of summer have no reaction at all. Not really much you can do. It is the histamine in your system that causes the itching and swelling...this will lessen as you become get stung. I don't know anyone who's systoms have worsened, but I have heard about it...I think it is fairly rare and not the 50/50 as suggested above...more like 80/20 or less...but then we are a tougher breed out west here. :)

Daddy'sBees
05-30-2011, 10:55 PM
I also think that we get more resistant to post-stinging issues with time(lots of stings over time). I rarely have any issues with stings on my hands/fingers and other places, but, a sting just above the wrist still gets some swelling? Go figure...

aprici
05-31-2011, 12:07 AM
I use toothpaste.

jrbbees
05-31-2011, 01:28 AM
Take an antihistamin before you work your bees. See your doc. Get an epi pen and carry it. Hope you never need it. But it can save a life.

dkvello
05-31-2011, 05:52 AM
Try liquid Benadryl and a Q-tip. Appy it right to the sting. I never leave home with out it now. Take a combo of liquid Benadryl ( not childrens) and Pepcent-AC. :) If nothing else, you might get a good nap out of the deal!

DeeAnna
05-31-2011, 07:30 AM
Hey, Dkvello, what does the Pepcid AC do for the sting? Curious minds and all that.... --DeeAnna

Acebird
05-31-2011, 08:00 AM
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Bee%20Hive/plantain.jpg

This is a common weed throughout the country. Pick off a leaf and chew it and spit the juice on the sting. I am told the relief it quite quick.

It actually is an edible plant.

mbhopper
05-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Hey, Dkvello, what does the Pepcid AC do for the sting? Curious minds and all that.... --DeeAnna

Pepcid AC blocks histamine in a slightly different way then the standard antihistamines.

DeeAnna
05-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Hey, mbhopper, thanks for the info on Pepcid AC.

I had heard about using plaintain on a bee sting, so I tried it a few weeks ago when I got stung on the face for the second time in about as many days. Ugh!

The first sting was to the upper lip. I couldn’t do anything about the sting when it happened, so it burned and tingled a fair bit at the time and swelled up a lot in the days afterward - it looked like I was in a bar fight.

The second sting was to my cheek. After getting the stinger out, I looked quick for a plantain, picked a leaf and rolled it between the palms of my hands (okay, and I bit it a few times too - tastes like lettuce), then gently rubbed the juicy leaf on the sting site. I replaced the leaf with a fresh one when it wasn’t as juicy. I kept this up for about 5 minutes until most of the discomfort was gone.

In retrospect, the pain didn’t last as long and the swelling was markedly less, compared with the upper lip sting. Whether this difference was due to the plantain, my increasing tolerance to bee venom, the difference in the sting site, or to all of the above, I can’t say for sure. But the plantain sure didn’t make things worse, and I plan to try it again in the future.

On a related note, if you ever get into stinging nettle, try the same treatment using a bruised burdock leaf. (The young leaves in the center of the plant are more tender and easier to bruise.) Start rubbing a juicy leaf on the stings as soon as possible after getting stung. Keep it up until the stinging is mostly gone – I’d guess it takes 5 to 10 minutes depending on how many stings and how potent the nettle is.

I can confirm this folk remedy really honestly DOES work – it’s not just hearsay.

In spring and early summer or in a mowed lawn, burdock often looks like a rhubarb plant, except the leaves are fuzzy and more of a bluish green. Rhubarb leaves are smooth and a deep grass green. Pics of common burdock: http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/arfmi.htm

I guess now I need to try burdock on a bee sting and plantain on nettle stings.

--DeeAnna

summer1052
05-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Sometimes soaking the site of the sting in water and Epsom salts, or covering with a wash cloth soaked in the same, will help the swelling. I seem to swell more or less depending on what sorts of pollen the girls have been snacking on lately. The location of the sting affects it, too. I once got a sting on the inside of my wrist *right* on top of that vein. The whole underside of my arm to my elbow swelled. Go figure. Ice, antihistamine, and topical Benadryl are all good. Remember to scrape off the stinger, not squeeze it.

GL.
Summer

Acebird
05-31-2011, 10:43 AM
I can confirm this folk remedy really honestly DOES work – it’s not just hearsay.

In spring and early summer or in a mowed lawn, burdock often looks like a rhubarb plant, except the leaves are fuzzy and more of a bluish green. Rhubarb leaves are smooth and a deep grass green. Pics of common burdock: http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/arfmi.htm

I guess now I need to try burdock on a bee sting and plantain on nettle stings.

--DeeAnna

Burdock tea is also a good remedy for carbuncles. I am not sure what you make the tea from though, leaf or seed.

rtoney
05-31-2011, 11:12 AM
I was stung on top of the head and in the ear the other day, I just say OUCH alot and it seems to help.

Nabber86
05-31-2011, 11:54 AM
I often wonder.... do people who think you can build up immunity to bee stings by getting stung more, recommend that people with serious allergies (peanuts, for instance) eat more peanuts?

sevenmmm
05-31-2011, 12:04 PM
I read in an old USDA pamphlet to alternate with cold and warm compress. I just run up to the house and alternate the hot and cold water from the spigot, so far, has worked for me.

msapostol
05-31-2011, 12:13 PM
I got stung in the exact same place, right between the eyes, twice. The second time I was swollen for less days, 3 as opposed to 5. I did try some natural remedies, took some homeopathic pills, and applied a paste of baking soda and water. I am also not sure if my immune system is handling it better or if it was due to the remedies, but it sure was nice to be itchy 2 less days.

I'll have to try plaintain as it grows abundantly in my yard, next to the beeyard.

Michael Bush
05-31-2011, 11:45 PM
Plantain immediately is an awesome treatment.
http://bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#plantain

sqkcrk
06-01-2011, 05:20 AM
I often wonder.... do people who think you can build up immunity to bee stings by getting stung more, recommend that people with serious allergies (peanuts, for instance) eat more peanuts?

I don't know what you mean by "immunity to bee stings". To me, an immunity to something means no adverse reaction. Unless you go into anaphalactic shock froma bee sting, you already have immunity to bee stings.

When people haven't been stung by bees, ever, they will either go into anaphalactic shock or swelling occurs at or near the sting sitte or even somewhere else. The latter reactions are normal. One can stop swelling from happening by getting stung more often. But I certainly wouldn't recommend that someone who is truely allergic to bee stings get stung in order to build resistance. Tho that is what allergists do. Under controled circumstances and w/ a dilute amount of venom.

And yes, being exposed to peanuts allergins under the treatment and supervision is how one gets desensitized to peanuts. From what I have heard.