PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Frames

Nabber86
03-04-2011, 07:23 AM
I took apart a dead hive last night and there were several frames of fairly clean wax that I would like to use in my other hives. THere was some wax moth damage and I thought I read somewhere that putting the frames in the freezer would kill off the eggs. So I put a bunch of frames in the deep freeze in the grarage. Assuming this does work to kill the wax moth eggs, how long do I keep the frames in the freezer?

pine_ridge_farms
03-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Wax moths aren't really a problem this time of year yet. When freezing the frames it only takes 24 hours or so to kill the wax moth eggs and larvae.

Nabber86
03-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Agreed, the moths arent a problem right now. I just want to kill any eggs if that is possible.

Thanks

pine_ridge_farms
03-04-2011, 08:25 AM
No moths no eggs. You're good to go with those frames.

tommyt
03-04-2011, 09:27 AM
I have made a rule to myself freeze all lost Drawn frames
My reason is to kill what ever maybe there ?
I hope not to freeze much but I figure,whats a day of freezing not much for me and better than putting something into a good hive, letting them fight it out.
I think for ME I will do this each and every time.
Reason for the rule. I had a cut out to do, so I took a couple of drawn frames I had frozen and bagged set in storage when I opened the bag the moths found their way in :scratch: not ruined but they were on their way. I take the frames and hope a quick freeze will work?
Drop them in the freezer 8 or 9 am pull them about 2 pm load up for the cut out.I get there getting set up,pull the frames the $0b's are waking up :scratch: little white worms!! tough little worms IMHO,I put them back in a Plastic bag tape it shut.They have been in deep freeze for a week:D
I believe the 24 hrs will work. I am sure 4 will not
Another lesson in Bees for Me

Tommyt

fish_stix
03-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Don't forget that it takes some time to get to freezing temp, especially if you put a good number in all at once. 24 hours is probably not long enough to give them a good freezing soak. I try to leave them in for 3-4 days. When you find frozen worms on the bottom of the freezer they've been there long enough! :eek: