PDA

View Full Version : toilet wax rings in wax melter?

Hoxbar
07-09-2010, 06:42 PM
I just made my first solar wax melter. I'm also a plumber and use toilet wax rings, made from beeswax. Do you think it would be a very good idea to put used wax from a toilet wax seal in my wax melter. I would clean them up(no poop!)! LOL

StikyBoots
07-09-2010, 06:49 PM
I will never look at Burt's Bees Lip Balm the same. :ws

Hoxbar
07-09-2010, 07:21 PM
That's funny! Never thought about it like that.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/images/buttons/reply.gif (http://www.beesource.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=559791)

BeeCurious
07-09-2010, 07:22 PM
There must be something besides beeswax in the toilet rings that makes crush/smash down the way they do.

They are far softer than pure beeswax.

I wouldn't want to think that my foundation contained "wax" toilet seals...

fish_stix
07-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhh hhhhh!!!!

jmgi
07-09-2010, 07:52 PM
C'mon, you can't be that desperate for wax.:eek:

honeyman46408
07-09-2010, 08:33 PM
I never was and I was a Plumber for 36 years :p

Omie
07-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Using old toilet wax seals for making foundation?
That's disgusting, and could be bad for your bees!

Use them when making lip balm instead.

wdcrkapry205
07-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I just made my first solar wax melter. I'm also a plumber and use toilet wax rings, made from beeswax. Do you think it would be a very good idea to put used wax from a toilet wax seal in my wax melter. I would clean them up(no poop!)! LOL

I'm wondering what your honey house looks like....:eek:

CentralPAguy
07-09-2010, 09:48 PM

You certainly are thinking outside the box and environmentally friendly too, lol

A little too "green" for me. I don't think that I would advertise it as it probably would hurt your honey sales. Now, I have to remember not to buy used wax melters.....

Cooties.....

waynesgarden
07-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Compromise time.

Melt them down separately in a coffee can, make a mold and pour yourself a brand new 100% post-consumer recycled toilet wax ring.

And don't worry. Time will heal your credibility.

Wayne

Hoxbar
07-10-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm not saying I'm doing it or going to do it. I just wanted to know if it would work and what everyone thought about it. Sounds like the majority thinks it would be a bad idea. Thanks for the feed back.

Barry
07-10-2010, 01:15 PM
My experience with used wax rings leave no doubt about what to do with them. A solar melter isn't on the list. Besides, wax rings are not made of beeswax.

BeeCurious
07-10-2010, 02:00 PM
My experience with used wax rings leave no doubt about what to do with them.

Candles ? :D

wdcrkapry205
07-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Candles ?

Wonder what the aroma would be like? :pinch:

KQ6AR
07-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi,
I'm also a plumber, You are kidding Right?

Bear Creek Steve
07-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Hoxbar,

Don't be discouraged by all of these off-color responses.

Just make a second solar wax melter for the toilet wax rings. My solar honey bee wax melter is simple: A retired ice chest with the lid replaced with a piece of window glass. Inside an open (clean) one gallon paint can covered with a concaved piece of fly screen which is then covered with a piece of paper towel. The wax goes on the paper towel and the glass on top of the ice chest. Temperatures get up to 120+ and the wax melts and is filtered as gravity draws the liquid wax down through the paper towel into the tin can. The paper towel cleans out the bee legs, wings, or whatever may be in your wax.

Applications for bees wax, or your wax: Any gardening tool with a wooden handle such as a shovel, pick, mattock, rake, hoe, etc. that is left out in the weather will benefit from a liberal coat/rubbing of linseed oil followed by a coating of warm or liquid bees wax or your wax. Another application, and I'm an old timer who wears leather boots, is to first paint your leather boots with a coat of warm Neatsfoot Oil followed by a coat of liquid bees wax or your wax. The leather will be preserved, supple, and best of all waterproofed. Great here in Colorado when plowing knee deep snow and you don't want cold feet.

mike haney
07-10-2010, 07:41 PM
"...toilet wax rings.... honey bee wax..."
apples and oranges

beegee
07-10-2010, 10:36 PM
I think toilet rings are made of grease, not wax.

Bee Bliss
07-10-2010, 11:13 PM
:pinch:
oooh, worse than that coffee place recycling their used paper coffee cups to make table napkins for people to dab their lips with! No pun intended!

Burn the candle at both ends, eh? :lpf: :lpf: :lpf:

honeydreams
07-10-2010, 11:19 PM
What people do to save a few cents?:scratch:

Hoxbar
07-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Some of the older wax seal were made from beeswax. I'm not sure if it 100% pure. Some of the cheaper wax seals made today are made from petroleum wax.

Michael Bush
07-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Toilet rings contain beeswax. They are NOT 100% beeswax. There are other oils to make it considerably softer than beeswax.

Troy
07-11-2010, 09:51 PM
I found it hard to believe they were ever made of beeswax, so I did some internet research.

I seriously doubt that any beeswax is used in anybody's wax rings anymore. Beeswax is just too expensive, and the wax rings sell too cheaply. I'm sure if anyone is using beeswax, they would say so on the label in real large letters.

Of course what others said below is also true, it is not pure wax either or it would be too hard. They soften it by using some other petroleum product of some kind.

So I am sure they are made out of paraffin wax and something like Vaseline or veggie oil melted together to come up with the right flexibility to offer a good seal.

That all being said, I see no reason a solar wax melter couldn't be used to melt the goop down, but why would you want to go to all the trouble? It is just not worth it.