PDA

View Full Version : Nuc is an abbreviation for Nucleus

Joseph Clemens
12-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Since Nuc is an abbreviation for Nucleus, why is it, so often, written as "nuc" rather than "Nuc"?

beemandan
12-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Maybe nuc is an abbreviation for nucleus. I reckon I've missed the point of your post.

waynesgarden
12-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Lower case because it is not a proper noun.

Wayne

Joseph Clemens
12-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Isn't a "proper noun" the name of a person, place, or thing? Thing being a nucleus colony of bees. The grammar guide book I was checking with said how some abbreviations were to be capitalized, even though when spelled out those words wouldn't be.

I've just always been curious about it, thanks for the second opinions.

Joseph Clemens
12-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Maybe nuc is an abbreviation for nucleus. I reckon I've missed the point of your post.

Yes, I do realize that Nuc is the commonly used abbreviation for "nucleus colony of honey bees". Though I don't believe that it would be correct to capitalize Nucleus Colony of Honey Bees, I do think that perhaps we should capitalize the first letter of the abbreviation, Nuc. I don't know who originated Nucleus for a starter colony of honey bees, though I would like to know. I've seen some newbee's confuse "nuc" for nuclear - and nucleus is also a word used to describe a core piece of some living cells.

I am just investigating, for myself, if their may be a way to reduce the possibilities of confusion when using this term. It may not be possible, without additional explanations to those newbee's who are confused, I certainly remember my own confusion when I first heard the term "nuc".

Even more formal would be the practice of initially writing it out completely, nucleus colony of honey bees (Nuc), and afterwards using Nuc, with or without the initial capital as the abbreviation.

When I first heard the term "Nuc" it was during the Cold War, and I was training for my subsequent duties as a Nuclear weapons technician in a Nuclear submarine in the U. S. Navy. Boy did I have a lot of questions for my beekeeping mentors.

drobbins
12-23-2009, 05:25 PM
A "proper noun" is the name of a "specific" person, place, or thing.
All nouns are the name of a person, place, or thing (or idea)
Usually, when one speaks of a nuc, they're speaking in general terms.
There are situations where it would be appropriate to capitalize it, but not most of the time.

Dave

waynesgarden
12-23-2009, 06:25 PM
The rule for capitalizing an abbreviation is that if the original word or words are normally capitalized, then the abbreviation is also. General Motors would be abbreviated G.M. To abbreviate the word abbreviation, you would use abbr. in lower case letters. (Note the period ending the abbreviation of abbreviation.)

To further complicate the issue, some might argue that if nuc is truly used as an abbreviation for nucleus, then nuc should end with a period. However, general usage has it that when an abbreviation becomes a synonym for the longer word, it requires no period. Example auto and automobile, lab and laboratory, nuc and nucleus. (Note the lower case start of the words.)

Wayne

Barry
12-23-2009, 06:44 PM
I've seen some newbee's confuse "nuc" for nuclear - and nucleus is also a word used to describe a core piece of some living cells.

And to add confusion, some pronounce "nuc" in a way that rhymes with "book." :)

waynesgarden
12-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm just happy that I don't see so many beekeepers with nukes for sale anymore.

Wayne

Ravenseye
12-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Now here we go with the discussion of how it's pronounced again!!! :D:rolleyes:

So I'll be first...nuc is short for nucleus and thus pronounced like the word. Then again, I pronounce "roof" like "hoof" so what do I know!!! Drives my wife nuts but where I lived in Maine..that's just the way it was.

honeyman46408
12-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Yeh is it crick or creek or--- I am getin a head ake :lookout:

Countryboy
12-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Nuc is the name for it, but not the name of it.

The children went to the park to play. The children went to Memorial Park to play. See the difference in "park"?

You could name a nuc Italian Nuc or Queen Bank Nuc to refer to a specific nuc.

Joseph Clemens
12-23-2009, 08:18 PM
In my title and initial posts I inadvertently neglected to elucidate completely that the abbreviation we beekeepers use, nuc; isn't really an abbreviation for the word nucleus, but rather an abbreviation for "nucleus colony of honey bees", otherwise it would be too general a term, since the word nucleus means many other things besides a small, starter colony of honey bees.

I greatly appreciate all the responses, so far. It is nice that so many other beekeepers are willing to participate in discussions of bees and the fascinating terminology we use.

Countryboy
12-23-2009, 08:44 PM
In beek speak I've heard nuc being used as the short form of nucleus, which is the short form for nucleus hive. Outside of beekeeping circles, folks think a nuc is what we used on Hiroshima or Nagasaki, and they think a nucleus is the center of an atom, or the core of an object, but they can understand the concept of a nucleus hive of honeybees.

SCFarms
12-23-2009, 09:52 PM
“Outside of beekeeping circles, folks think a nuc is what we used on Hiroshima or Nagasaki, and they think a nucleus is the center of an atom, or the core of an object, but they can understand the concept of a nucleus hive of honeybees.”

I wonder how many conversations the government guys listen in on when a beek is talking to one of his/her buddies about nucs.

Hambone
12-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Now here we go with the discussion of how it's pronounced again!!! :D:rolleyes:

It's winter. We got nothing better to do. :)

bigeddie
12-24-2009, 12:04 AM
It's winter. We got nothing better to do. :)

Then I hope spring comes early.

Joseph Clemens
12-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Waiting for Spring - overrated - heck, I just created two artificial swarms and installed them into "nucleus honey bee colonies" (5-frame medium nucs) using homegrown queens from my nucleus colony queen bank, I have been missing the fun of installing package bees (that's how I started my very first colonies back in the mid-sixties). I'm feeding them will pollen substitute patties and sugar syrup made with 1.5 parts sugar to 1 part water. They have quickly built the foundation out into comb and filled it with sugar honey and brood. I used four frames with complete sheets of beeswax small-cell foundation with two horizontal wires, the fifth frame was filled with a sheet of beeswax drone foundation. The bees built out a small section of the drone foundation into drone cells, then promptly filled those with honey, now they are continuing to build out the remainder of the drone foundation in a curious manner, as if they are trying to reduce the cell size by building up the cell walls, it appears very odd.

SwedeBee1970
12-24-2009, 09:11 AM
N.U.C.

New Underdeveloped Colony

StevenG
12-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Spring better not come early! I have too much to do to get ready!
I use nuc instead of Nuc because I'm too lazy...uh, conservative of motion, to reach the pinkie over to the shift key. :lpf:

Michael Bush
12-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm not certain if anyone coined the phrase before Langstroth used it, but I was always under the impression that he coined "nucleus" as a small colony with a little of all the essentials.