PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Theft Device?

Bens-Bees
09-22-2009, 10:51 PM
I remember running across an anti-theft device for beehives a few years back but can't find anything on it now. I don't remember the name of it anymore, but it was similar to low-jack. Can anyone help me out here and point me in the right direction?

alpha6
09-23-2009, 05:05 AM
Sure SgtMaj.

It's called a GPS hive locator/protector.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=1049&idCategory=

Bens-Bees
09-23-2009, 05:56 AM
THANK YOU! I knew I had seen one somewhere.

CovertBeekInColleyville
09-23-2009, 07:54 AM
I am not trying to be nosey, but is there a big problem with theft of hives? Especially when you leave them out in secluded places. Or is this more of precautionary move?

honeydreams
09-23-2009, 09:22 AM
yes there is I just put warning signs that look like its from the goverment. and says experimental killerbees stay back 500 yards toxic nerves system venom test bees. If stung use anti nerve gas agent. so far works real good.

Keith Jarrett
09-23-2009, 05:14 PM
I use wildlife cameras, 500 memory card, set on motion @ 2 minute apart. Battery ( flash light) last about two months.

Bens-Bees
09-23-2009, 07:11 PM
yes there is I just put warning signs that look like its from the goverment. and says experimental killerbees stay back 500 yards toxic nerves system venom test bees. If stung use anti nerve gas agent. so far works real good.

:lpf:

beyondthesidewalks
09-24-2009, 12:57 AM
I work in the communications business and it's not ununsual for some of our remote sites to get vandalized or robbed. We have one site that has been robbed of copper twice. Our answer was to post a sign saying the site is under video surveillance. We have no cameras at the site. It works.

The best solution for us was probably that the price of copper came back down to earth. I've used hunting cameras also but they didn't do as much good as the sign.

devdog108
09-24-2009, 04:01 PM
i not only built towers, I installed the baystations at the bottoms and set and tested antennas......and our copper got stolen A LOT!!! We set up the signs and they worled great. For a small pence, you can get a fake camera that runs on batteries and rotates back and forth.....we used them on ATM's and soda machines too.....would work great on the top of a hive....

here is one for $30.00 and the battery lasts 6 months!!

http://www.tbotech.com/box-housing-dummy-camera.htm