PDA

View Full Version : My Hive STINKS!!!!

c10250
09-05-2009, 08:32 PM
. . . and that's good news, I guess. It's my first year, and the goldenrod is in full bloom. I easily have 200 bees coming and going per minute. The hive stinks like a gym locker so bad that my 10 year old has to hold his nose 6 feet away.

I plan on harvesting some. I'm assuming it won't smell that bad when harvested. Does anyone have any tips on harvesting goldenrod honey?

Ken

Beeslave
09-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Good news your bees are making honey. As soon as the bees have the moisture content down extract it. It will granulate fast so you won't want to take it off the hive and set it in a cool place for a week. I made that mistake last year. It could have been frost aster also, it was dark honey.

blueskybeesupply
09-05-2009, 10:34 PM
The stinky smell of money, er I mean honey . . .

Goldenrod. Pray the rains don't interrupt the flow.

bnatural
09-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Funny, but in all the years I've been doing this, I never thought the process of making any kind of honey made the hives smell funky. They always smell super sweet and like, well, honey. Is it my nose? Am I not sophisticated enough to appreciate the subtle nuances of different aroma notes from the various honeys?

I like my beers dark, my scotch single malt, my maple syrup dark amber, my coffee Brazilian strength, my chili with LOTS of cumin and my cigars maduro. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Bill

Hambone
09-06-2009, 11:54 AM
I like my beers dark, my scotch single malt, my maple syrup dark amber, my coffee Brazilian strength, my chili with LOTS of cumin and my cigars maduro. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Bill

Good taste! Expensive...but good. :thumbsup:

bnatural
09-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Good taste! Expensive...but good. :thumbsup:

Depends on where you source it.

Bill

Beeslave
09-06-2009, 09:21 PM
My bees are working frost aster and golden rod now and the only hives that smell like rotten socks have EFB

honeydreams
09-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Hives should not smell like rotten socks EFB:eek: Smells like that!

Hambone
09-08-2009, 06:07 PM
When they work goldenrod heavy. You hive will smell like a gym locker. It's normal.

Oh...and the comb they draw on it is a beautiful yellow color. :thumbsup:

hummingberd
09-08-2009, 06:09 PM
I remember my first hive smelling "funny" to me at the time. The honey almost smelled a little yeasty to me. But I would also err on the side of caution and check for EFB.

waynesgarden
09-08-2009, 06:14 PM
When they work goldenrod heavy. ....

Oh...and the comb they draw on it is a beautiful yellow color. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that. I noticed the color difference in the new comb on the top super today. Now I know the reason.

If you learn something new every day, this means I can have a glass or two of wine and call it a day.

Cheers.

Wayne

Hambone
09-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Here are some past post on it. Err on the side of caution as Hummingbird says. But from your youtube's and prior post. It's Golden Rod.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223148&highlight=socks&page=2

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213225&highlight=socks

http://www.beesource.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2358765

beyondthesidewalks
09-08-2009, 09:56 PM
I had a goat escape last night and this afternoon I walked the neighboring land trying to flush him out. I was walking through GR as tall as me (6') and couldn't find the goat. It's got blooms starting and about to pop open. Too bad we haven't had much rain to feed them. We will not get much of a flow unless some rain comes soon.

Hambone
09-08-2009, 10:09 PM
I had a goat escape last night and this afternoon I walked the neighboring land trying to flush him out.

You must be a aggie. :p

bnatural
09-09-2009, 05:40 AM
My hives are humming with this late flow, and I KNOW a lot of it is goldenrod. But, it still smells great to me. I don't get it. What am I missing? Does it REALLY smell bad to those of you, who have posted about old gym socks, etc.?

Seriously, I am wondering what is wrong with me (no comments, please), if everyone else smells it and I don't. I have NEVER smelled funky honey in my hives. Whatever the source, it has always smelled almost sickly sweet and like, as I said before, honey.

Bill

c10250
09-09-2009, 06:10 AM
It's definitely goldenrod that I smell. I would describe it as a pungent, Earthy, cheesy, smell.

The smell is most noticeable in the early evening as they fan the hive to dry the nectar.

I think the smell only lasts several hours. By the next morning it seems to be gone. My guess is that the goldenrod nectar out gasses something within hours of being collected. After that, no smell.

Ken

c10250
09-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Also, there are many varieties of Goldenrod out there. It is possible that one person's goldenrod is completely different than another person's goldenrod.

About 100 species make up what is called "Goldenrod" (wikepedia).

The major source of goldenrod around here is Solidago canadensis, or sometimes called Canada, or Common Goldenrod.

This probably explains the difference in smell.

Ken

Damonh
09-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Once the honey cures it is really good.

Bill,...... I thought I was the only one with those tastes.

spencer
09-09-2009, 09:02 AM
I must be odd too. I like the smell of the bees working the Goldenrod honey. My wife thinks it smells bad but I think it has a sweet smell to it. Plus it's pretty cool that you can smell it from over 100 feet away!

CentralPAguy
09-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Today, I started pulling honey in two different beeyards.

All was cool until I went to the 2nd beeyard and my sniffer (pretty good condition) said PU. Since I had followed this thread, my thoughts are that the Girls are working Goldenrod. Boy, did it stink -- It reminded me more of dirty socks/sneakers. I pulled one frame out that was odiferous (partially capped) -- Gave it back to the Girls to finish capping. Hope the honey doesn't take that flavor.

I was a little concerned as I wasn't sure what AFB smells like.

bnatural
09-11-2009, 04:39 AM
Ken, we have/had at least four varieties of goldenrod here, ranging from less than three feet to over eight feet tall. IN GENERAL the bees seemed to prefer the later blooming, taller varieties, at least this year. There are still patches of it blooming here and there, but the main bloom is over.

D, the Dark-Flavor Sector is a secret underground movement dedicated to bringing actual taste back into our food.

CPAG, If the frame of honey smelled funky, then most likely not AFB, since that smell comes more from the infected brood.

Someday, I'm going to actually notice this goldenrod smell. Until then...I'll just smoke my cigars and drink my scotch.

Bill

c10250
09-11-2009, 06:01 AM
Here's what we have got going around Chicago.

http://home.comcast.net/~k_haas/field2.jpg

This is my brother's yard and he thinks he's going to jump into the hobby next year with a hive (subject of another post soon to come). My brother is on 400+ acres of restored prarie.

Beeslave
09-11-2009, 06:40 AM
I was a little concerned as I wasn't sure what AFB smells like.

Did you inspect the brood chamber? It very well could be just the goldenrod but unless you are positive you should thoroughly check all brood frames. AFB infected hives can have stinky honey. 6 yrs ago I had found a place were a beek that passed away had a bunch of equipment stored outside. There was a single stack of hive bodies that were full of bees and honey. I had never smelled AFB before then but took the supers(full of honey) to another experienced beek because they were so stinky. He said the smell was from AFB, so the hive was inspected(by us) and it was diseased.

USCBeeMan
09-11-2009, 07:32 AM
If you haven't experienced the odor of SHB infestation of honeycomb then you might want to check for it!!! Nasty smell.

CentralPAguy
09-11-2009, 11:20 AM
It is my intention to inspect the hives this weekend to specifically check the brood as I want to be sure that it is the Goldenrod and not AFB. I was thinking that AFB smells like rotting meat and not like stinky socks/shoes.

For those of you that have experienced AFB and goldenrod, what is the uniqueness of the odors that accompany both. Thanks.

bnatural
09-12-2009, 08:41 AM
To me, AFB definitely smells like something rotting/rotten. Since I know my bees have been working the goldenrod, and since I know right now it smells really sweet, like, well, honey (teh scent drifted across 100+ yards of lawn to the house, when I let the dog out this morning. Nothing like standing in the fog, robe on, coffee in hand, with that smell in the air), then I'd have to say that, at least to ME, they do not smell at all alike. But, that's me and my nose.

Bill

c10250
09-12-2009, 08:43 AM
I . . Plus it's pretty cool that you can smell it from over 100 feet away!

Indeed. I was sitting on a bench 60 feet away from the hive last night, and was getting strong whiffs of goldenrod!

thrissle
09-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Goldenrod honey in the making makes the bee yard smell yeasty.... like baking bread. I think it is an awesome odor.

beekeeper08
09-15-2009, 08:42 PM
I have a hive at my house that I think is bringing in goldenrod it has a sweet almost butterscotch smell not the terrable smell of AFB unfortunatly I have smelt that.