PDA

View Full Version : Roaches in hives

Panhandle Scott
08-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Hello all, just joined a few months ago as a newbee and will have my first hives next spring but I do have a question that is probably more Southern related.

I live in the Panhandle of Florida and we have around here what we commonly refer to as "woods roaches", they are not German, palmetto or the big foot stompers but ones that will live under leaf litter, buckets, garbage cans, basically any dark place. You can set a five gallon bucket down in the evening and the next day there will be several under the bucket.

The main question is...do they pose a problem to a hive since they prefer dark places to hole up. If so how do you control them from entering a hive.

We never find them inside but outside there is probably thousands ranging from a 1/2" to close to 2" that reside in areas of our property as well as just about every other piece of property in the area

I just kinda hate the thought of pulling a top off and seeing a bunch of roaches scurry around the inside of the hive. My wife would be abhored and probably never touch the honey if she saw it.

arnaud
08-10-2009, 06:44 PM
How about a mouseguard such as this one?

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/m23ProductImages//hd-591.jpg

Panhandle Scott
08-10-2009, 07:00 PM
How about a mouseguard such as this one?

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/m23ProductImages//hd-591.jpg

Would a mousegaurd be useful in preventing roaches from entering. I understand the concept but when you are dealing with 1/2" long woods roaches it seems they will bypass that.

As I previously stated....I am completely new at this but want to cover all of the bases. Roaches might not be a problem since bees keep a fairly tidy house but if mice and beetles can creep in then I would suspect roaches can do the same.

MichelinMan
08-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi Scott,

I`ve never heard or read about roaches in hives but you should just wait and see. Get your hive going in the spring and then if roaches come around and if they are a problem the bees should be able to handle them seeing as they are only 1/2 inch long. I`ve seen bigger bugs than that in my hives and there was never a problem. Up hear we have earwigs. The ugliest bug this side of hell. I lift off the cover and they go running for cover. Tens of them. Yuck! I`ve even seen a few in the hives one time. But the bees either tolerate them or deal with them their own way. Bugs you want to look out for are SHB (small hive beetle), wax moth and some ants and mites of course and a few others. Roaches? Well I guess you`ll find out in due course.

Good luck and welcome to the most fascinating hobby anywhere.

Luc

Panhandle Scott
08-10-2009, 07:31 PM
MMan.....thanks. We have earwigs down hear as well. Bout the only bug except scorpions that I will not pick up.

These roaches are more of a Southern woods thing so I was hoping to hear from people in the South. Course I imagine folks in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and Cali have to deal with scorpions and possibly tarantulas pretty regular.

I guess up in Canada and such the biggest worry is geting to the hive before the black flies tear you apart.

MichelinMan
08-10-2009, 07:36 PM
I guess up in Canada and such the biggest worry is geting to the hive before the black flies tear you apart.

You got that right. And mosquitoes and deer flies. But once I`m in my bee yard they seem to just disappear. Guess the bees keep `em at bay.

Panhandle Scott
08-10-2009, 07:39 PM
You got that right. And mosquitoes and deer flies. But once I`m in my bee yard they seem to just disappear. Guess the bees keep `em at bay.

So at least you get to wear the veil 24/7:D

One day I will make it to Canada and see alot of the vast unspoiled areas up there. Beautiful country and great people.

devdog108
08-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I have had a couple in mine, although mine were smaller. I just crushed them and they have never come back!

Josh Carmack
08-10-2009, 08:06 PM
I have two or three in mine every time I open them, well some of them, but the are always hanging out in unpopulated areas like the space between covers. rarely ever see them down in with the bees

wcubed
08-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Am in TN. Is that southeren enough? Your concern is valid. Roaches are flatter than bees. They can travel in spaces that bees do not penetrate. The standard inner cover from suppliers does not guarentee bee travel space between it and the cover. Early on, had bunches of roaches in between. Added some stripping to the inner cover to increase the space, and the roaches went away. Note that roaches feed on decaying wood. A bee hive is perpetual picnic for them.

Rohe Bee Ranch
08-11-2009, 07:09 AM
I'm in Northern Alabama and have seen a couple wood roaches only under the outside rim of the outer cover on my weak hives. Also these bee yards were in wooded areas. As soon as I lift the outer cover they scurry away down the outside of the hives. Have not seen any of them on the inside of my colonies though. I have never seen any wood roaches around any strong colony or in my sunny yards.

terri lynn
08-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm in Texas on a very wooded property and I do see them in the yard and gardens some. I have only seen one in the hive (right under the cover, not near the bees), and 1 on the outside of hives I was feeding. So, since they can easily go through even mouse guards, I'm guessing the bees keep them out themselves. Otherwise, I'm quite sure there would be more. I also have scorpions, snakes, lizards, and hundreds of mosquitos...haven't seen any of those near the hives. The larger couldn't get through a mouse guard of course, but they don't even hang out nearby. I have had a praying mantis that thought he was very clever until I relocated him an acre or so away. And birds (mainly cardinals) sometimes hang out too much. I feed them in another area to redirect, but the cardinals are more plentiful than the wood roaches. I was worried about birds beforehand, but they don't make much of a dent, even though I don't like them there. Am thinking of scarecrows or hanging cd disks. I haven't put up a purple martin house or gotten guineas because of that, though after a conversation about guineas on this forum, I may try those after getting coyote guard.