PDA

View Full Version : bees appear to have found pool... help

afss
08-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Apparently one of my neighbors has a pool that i was unaware of. We live in the country and although these neighbors are only 4-500 feet from me i wasn't aware they had a pool until tonight.

I have seen threads like this before and will be searching, but if anyone has methods they have used that worked please let me know.

The pool is as i said about 400 feet from the hives. They have been there a few at a time all summer but recently up to as many as 40-50 at a time. The pool is a saltwater pool, not chlorine. The bees appear to be attracted to the solar blanket and the floaties (makes sense)

What can i do to get the bees out of the pool. I don't want to have upset neighbors so if i can't find a way to attract them to another water source i will have to seriously consider moving them.

Thanks

cow pollinater
08-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Grab a bucket and add pool water from the pool they are visisting and add an old towel. The towel acts as a wick that the bees can drink from so keep the water low enough that there is plenty of space for them to land on the damp towel. Place it in between the pool and your bees and spray a bunch of lemon pledge around the base of the bucket for an initial attraction.
I just did this a few days ago to keep my girls out of my mom's pool accross the street. I have eighty hives in the backyard right now and it appears that it worked on just about everyone except one or two hives of dark bees.

afss
08-05-2009, 06:27 PM
ok, should i add anything to the water, to help attract them, sugar etc? once i have them coming to the new location (hopefully i can get them coming to the new location) do i keep toping it up with pool water of switch it over to normal water?

I can't believe this is becoming a problem, I remember reading about this and thinking it was good that the other neighbor who got rid of their pool this year was getting rid of it and that i wouldn't have to worry about that.

afss
08-05-2009, 07:12 PM
also curious, does lemon pledge work best, or any lemon based cleaner? I don't have any pledge right now but if it works best i will get it.

afss
08-06-2009, 06:56 PM
I put out a few containers with old towels in them and sprayed around with pledge. The bees are startin to take to them. There are still some going to the neighbors pool , but no more than there were yesterday.

Any other suggestions?

KQ6AR
08-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Where you able to get some of the pool water for you're bucket?

afss
08-06-2009, 07:22 PM
yep, had to sneak in under cover of dark, but i got it....

LOL, just kidding. The neighbors have been very understanding so far and i think as much as they are annoyed by the inconvenience/fear of the bees around the pool they are amused by the whole situation. they also are interested in the hives and the inner workings of the hive. So far so good and they gave me permission to go get water anytime i need it. I assured them there would be honey in it for their patience.

indypartridge
08-07-2009, 04:54 AM
ok, should i add anything to the water, to help attract them, sugar etc?
Bees tend to be attracted to 'scented' water; sometimes it's a chlorinated pool, sometimes it's the puddle by the muck pile. I'd recommend against adding sugar: that will attract a lot of bugs besides your bees. Try a few drops of clorox in the water.

SlickMick
08-07-2009, 06:32 AM
I got my neighbours to put plastic over the places where the bees were congregating so that there was no easy water to collect.. seemed to work pretty well but it may be a bit harder if they are using the pool cover.

Mick

JRRotten
08-07-2009, 03:52 PM
I live next to the Willapa River in Washington, and I thought my girls would drink from the river as I have a boat dock, but the neighbors have a pool and the girls were bothering people at the pool. I placed a childs pool near the hives with old towels wraped on foam so they floated, the girls are happy and the neighbors are happy. Add a little sea salt to your water, if they
liked your neighbors water. Many happy days with your girls!

iwombat
08-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I have a water-garden for the bees. 1/2 wine barrel w/ some aquatic plants to land on. It's hooked into my drip system, so it gets refreshed every other evening. They ignored it until I started putting drops of lemongrass oil in it. Once they found it they pretty much adopted it as their own.

EastSideBuzz
08-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Just what I was afraid of. The girls have found my neighbors water feature.

It is a water river and water fall down in their back yard. Seems that they say swarms of bee's have been visiting it all summer.:no:

Now they know that it is my bee's I will have to create a more attractive place for them to get water. The water feature is 1000 feet from my house through the woods. I will have to make a nicer water feature closer then the neighbors one. I wonder how many are visiting the neighbors pool 3000 feet away. I am afraid to ask them.

It is only dry for a couple of months here so I am sure when the rains start again they will be able to get water allot closer and more available.

afss
08-08-2009, 05:25 PM
For what its worth the water from the source with towels and lemon pledge really seems to be helping. I have also read that for the persistent ones going to the water feature some soapy water will kill them and the new bees that have to get water will likely find a different source. Sucks to have to kill some of the girls, but if it keeps neighborly peace its probably worth it.