PDA

View Full Version : I killed my queen. How long to requeen?

n5odj
08-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Monday morning, I killed my queen (intentionally) with a plan to requeen. My new queen was shipped priority mail on Monday. Here it is Wednesday & no new queen yet.... hopefully tomorrow she'll come in.
Anyway, I was honestly thinking the new girl would come in Tuesday & I killed the old one on Monday to give the colony a day or two to be queenless before introducing the new queen. Now I'm getting nervous that the colony may take matters into their own hands & start to make their own queen. How long do ya' reckon they'll go before starting to make their own?
This hive is HOT and I really don't look forward to getting back in there to look for queen cells.

Robert

alpha6
08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Well if they had eggs to work with then they will or at least should start to raise their own queen. However this takes at least 11 days so you are still good time wise. Next time I would suggest you wait till you have the new queen before getting rid of the old one. After 24 hrs you can into the new queen...mist the hive with sugar water and spearmint EO mix to help with acceptance.

n5odj
08-05-2009, 02:44 PM
So what will happen if the colony has already started making a queen when I do introduce the storebought queen? Will the colony disassemble the queen cell? Will the new (mature) queen kill any queens that hatch out?

Yeah, in hindsight, I should've waited to kill the old, mean queen. First time to do this.

Robert

AR Beekeeper
08-05-2009, 03:35 PM
You will have to inspect all brood frames in the colony for queen cells they will have started. Shake the bees off the frames so you will have a clear view, it is very easy to miss a small cell. If you miss a cell the colony will kill your introduced queen.

I would start a small nuc and introduce the new queen to it, then after the nuc is ok with the queen ( about a week to ten days) combine with the colony. It is not necessary to do what the book says about waiting 24 hours. A small nuc will miss its queen within an hour or less.

Leave 2 or 3 queen cells in the colony when you make up the nuc. After ten days they will be easily found and you can cut them out when you join the nuc with the original colony.

Eaglerock
08-05-2009, 04:39 PM
You will see queen cell(s) if they are making a queen from brood. When you go to put in the new queen, cut those cells out. But don't do it until you have your new queen.

Axtmann
08-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I already said it, but here again.

Bees starting within 24 hours with queen cellsÖ if the hive is queen les. Check every comb for half finished queen cells and cut them out.
Put the new queen in a cage and mount the cage on a frame with a foundation strip right and left from the cage.
Take the frame in the middle of the hive between brood or hatching brood. Check after 3 days, if bees have build combs beside the queen cage they accept her and you can remove the cover from the food plug. If there is still the foundation without any build combs, donít open the plug. Brush the bees away from there hive in the grass and check the hive again for queen cells, than check again after 3 days.

I guarantee you this is the saves way for your new queen and your money.

The next time donít kill the old queen, put here in a nuc box with bees from the same hive and bring her out of the flying range for 4 days. You can kill her when the new queen has brood.

franktrujillo
08-06-2009, 06:59 PM
well,they started as soon as you killed the queen....They know since i have a observation hive.......added frame of eggs and frame of honey within three days they had cell capped......It's like going to a party and host leaves everyone knows......:popcorn:.........