PDA

View Full Version : field corn? anygood for bees?

rriley
07-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Do bees get anything from field corn?

gmcharlie
07-10-2009, 09:11 PM
great pollen sooure for them, short lived but lots stored..... don't collect it for yourself though, it molds fast and taste funny....

Countryboy
07-10-2009, 10:17 PM
In a pollen dearth bees will work field corn for pollen a little. Bees seem to like sweet corn pollen better. But in both cases, corn pollen usually isn't a preferred pollen by the bees - they use it if nothing else is available.

I am not aware of bees using field corn for anything other than pollen. I guess there is a slight chance of honeydew from aphids sucking on the corn sap, but I wouldn't bet a honeycrop on it.

JBJ
07-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Wind pollinated crops in general such as corn are of poor nutritional value to bees. They do not need insect pollination so they offer no insect rewards such as nectar or nutritious pollen to attract them.

I would try to avoid having my hives loaded with low quality corn pollen to winter on.

Batman
07-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Huh. Man, I was just wondering about this since I see a lot of hives in the corn fields around here. Guess I wont count on much more nectar draw this year...they seem to be slowing down