Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

bees on front of hive

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CentralPAguy 
#1 ·
On a couple of my hives the bees are covering the front of a super and moving back and forth. Not a lot of bees maybe 50 or so. They just seem to be moving back and forth in a vertical direction each bee moving about a half an inch back and forth. What does this behavior mean?

#3 ·
I'm having a bit of a similar situation, only insofar as activity on the front apron. After days of 70+ weather, today it has rained all day and is in the upper 60's. It has quit raining, but they are bunched on the apron--piled about 3 inches high. I also see a number of dead bees and even some dead larva. I have 3 medium hive bodies and a week ago put on a queen excluder and a medium super. They have been filling out the frames very well. I have been gone a week and don't want to open with the coolness. It should be 80 and dry tomorrow. Should I just wait and check things out then?

#4 ·
I too encountered this the first time this year. Mesmerizing and Enjoyable.

However, it only occurred on my Hives that had Full Sun all day -- Once I put Screened Bottom Boards and a Screened Inner Cover on, most of it disappeared. There were a few stragglers that kept at it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.