PDA

View Full Version : Inner cover and honey supers

rmdial
07-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Getting ready to put on honey supers and realized I don't know if the inner cover goes on top like on brood supers or if it stays on brood supers. I notch my inner covers so there is a top opening. Just when I think I am getting the hang of this I find a very basic question I cannot figure out.

Thanks in advance.

Soapy

Beeslave
07-02-2009, 09:06 PM
On top w/ tc on top of that:)

Ravenseye
07-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Good question so don't worry about it! You'll have plenty more questions as time goes on. All of us do!

The inner cover goes on top of the supers just like they go on top of the hive bodies.

Russell
07-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Good question so don't worry about it! You'll have plenty more questions as time goes on. All of us do!

The inner cover goes on top of the supers just like they go on top of the hive bodies.

Which side of the inner cover faces up?.....the flat side or the side w/ the ridge around the edge?

Ravenseye
07-03-2009, 09:39 AM
The direction an inner cover goes is always a lively subject. Mine go on with the ridge down and the flat side up. I have a bunch of covers that are the same either way so go figure.

NasalSponge
07-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Humm....on the ones of mine that are flat on one side I put the flat side down to maintain bee space and reduce burr comb.....but most of mine are the same on both sides. Either way the bees don't care.

Zbees
07-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I build an inner cover with built in top entrance.

Make a 3/4" by 3/4" rim, drill a 5/8" hole in it. Put 1/4" plywood on one side of it, when supers are on, put it flat side up- so they can use the entrance and get the bonus ventilation.

In winter, flip it flat side down.

IN late summer when the humidity and heat are in the 90s, remove th einner cover and place a screened inner cover on for max vent.

works well on my colonies.

Ravenseye
07-04-2009, 06:07 AM
The covers I own with a ridge all have a notch and that's why they are facing down. For ventilation / upper entrance.

Oldbee
07-04-2009, 10:01 AM
"...always a lively subject. Mine go on with the ridge down and the flat side up."-Ravenseye.

"Humm....on the ones of mine that are flat on one side I put the flat side down to maintain..."-NasalSponge.

Ahh,..now were in business,.:D

I have one of those 'heavy duty' inner covers from Brushy M. that is really flat on the one side. When putting one on a few days ago, I noticed the bee space around the oval hole was pretty small; not much room for a bee. I'm thinking of gluing a 1/8 strip of wood around the edge. I like the ones from Mann Lake where the ridge is the same on both sides; one less major decision :scratch: to make.:)

Original post: After the harvest/extraction, some beekeepers put the supers back on hives so they clean them off and are relatively dry for storage; less mold. This is usually done in the fall when there is more likelihood of robbing. The inner cover is then put under the supers [to be cleaned up]. The notch may need to be plugged/closed.

hilreal
07-04-2009, 10:19 AM
My inner covers stay in the garage until winter. I tip the lid open for ventilation and do not mess with an inner cover. The girls have never missed it and it seems to me it improves ventilation. It would go on the list earlier about equipment you have that you don't use.

Doc5000
07-05-2009, 10:34 PM
What is the purpose of the inner cover? I don't have one and am wondering if I need to get it.

walking bird
07-05-2009, 10:59 PM
I have hives with the IC and hives without. Haven't seen any difference.

since I don't use jar feeders (one of the main uses for an inner cover) I'm thinking I'm just gonna do without; and without the telescoping top from now on too. I'm basically just building migratory tops with a grooved top entrance and they seem to work fine.