PDA

View Full Version : Chalk Brood, how to treat?

LSPender
03-07-2009, 06:55 PM
I have one group of hives that have some serious chalk brood and I need to treat.

I have heard rumors that powder Cinnomon on top of brood can help, but have no idea how much to use per hive.
Also, bleach in syrup can help, I understand, not sure on mix.

Looking for input and methods

Thanks, Larry

dbest
03-07-2009, 07:44 PM
I use two methods:

1. Re-queen (if I can). Most of my chalk brood is a result of bad genetics.
2. Bleach, I've added 1 gallon of bleach to 2500 gallons of syrup. (I dont' know what that ratio would be)

Action
03-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Are these Aussie bees?
Jack

JBJ
03-07-2009, 08:24 PM
I have seen a ratio of 500 to 1; syrup to bleach, used in feed as a general sanitizer. I also know someone who has successfully used 50:50 bleach to water as a spray to clean up active cases. He reported that the day after spray the hives had done major house cleaning with piles of old pupal casings and debris piled up outside the front door. I thought that concentration would kill the bees, but he said they just thoroughly cleaned house and fully recovered from the chalk. I haven't tried it myself, but I have seen that bees can be fairly tolerant of chlorine. Temperature at application may be important in terms of how fast the chlorine volatilizes and how fast the bees dry out. I think he used a light mist and spritzed it on.

Tom G. Laury
03-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Bleach in syrup roughly same % as Dennie explained has been touted around here for long time. Never bothered myself though just some requeen and build up then it's gone.

mbholl
03-08-2009, 11:53 AM
I read that Randy Oliver uses lots of cinnamon in his pollen sub. Maybe helps with chalk brood?

Michael Bush
03-08-2009, 12:54 PM
It will go away on it's own, but I would requeen to avoid it happening again.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespests.htm#chalkbrood

Flathead Honey
03-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Last summer of course all my aus. queens had bad chalk and once the bees quit carrying out mummies I thought they had worked through it. Well they had cause the didnt have any brood left to make mummies out of. Dryier weather and good nutrition and a nice new queen cure chalk brood.

BEES4U
03-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Hey Larry;
The conseses is a new queen.
I am still booking M H queens 50% down to book and the ballance in full 14 days before delivery!
Ernie

mbholl
03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Found this study that involved cinnamon oil - sounds like it was effective?. Last year after a Fumigillin-B treatment we had some chalkbrood; cleared up; no further problems, but we did requeen alot.

http://www.hgsc.bcm.tmc.edu/projects/microbial/documents/review_Chalkb.pdf

Ian
03-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Thinking that it probably could be related to genetics, but, then, what bee isnt susceptible to chalk brood when put under stressful conditions.

You mention one group of hives within your operation. I am also assuming your queen program includes all your hives. Not all your hives have a serious enough of a problem to comment on, so I would guess its probably something environmental.
That is, for some reason that particular yard has come down with the disease. Extra stress perhaps? In a windy spot? Bad water? Shortness of nectar? Poor pollen source?
Agriculture? Who knows.

What I think your asking is there a way of relieving the problem withing your yard.
My best guess would be to provide them with a protein supplement. Maybe set out some water for them,

BEES4U
03-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Some more data from the web:
http://maarec.psu.edu/pest&disease/slide25.htm

Chalkbrood Time of Treatment Treatment Material Method of Treatment

Spring and Summer New queens
There is no registered chemical treatment for Chalkbrood.

Maintain strong colonies and requeen with queens from Hygienic stocks.

Ernie