PDA

View Full Version : Warped Fry Pan

Sundance
01-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Chef or others.......

I have a nice 12" heavy aluminum fry pan of
commercial grade. Love it but.........

My kids visited and despite my repeated ranting
as they grew up...... They used high heat!!

Now the pan is warped.

Is there a way to get the bottom flat again???
Secret Chef methods???

I have a glass top range so being warped is a
bummer. Hate to toss it out.

wayacoyote
01-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Sorry to hear this, Sundance. Definately don't toss it, the aluminum has to be good for something. I'm hoping someone will reply with a solution. What about a Press to press out the warp?

Sundance
01-18-2009, 02:57 PM
I thought about the press idea........... I was
hoping to hear about someone that has toyed
with this.

drobbins
01-18-2009, 03:00 PM
probably hard to do much with a press without messing up the teflon coating:(

Dave

Sundance
01-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Yeah that is the wild card........ But I think with
some care and padding it might be doable.

Bizzybee
01-18-2009, 03:17 PM
I digging way back in my memory files here Sundance, and it ain't easy! :rolleyes: But I remember from my metallurgy days, that non-ferrous metals are annealed by heating and quenching the metals in cold water. Just the opposite of carbon steel.

Your pan is warped from stress created by heating and air cooling. If I remember correctly, aluminum and copper get heated to about 500 or 600 degrees and quickly cooled in cold water to remove the stress and soften the metal.

I don't know if that will remove all of the warp in your pan, but will certainly make it easier to press out if that's what it comes to.

Good Luck!!

drobbins
01-18-2009, 06:02 PM
the method for annealing aluminum varies with the alloy
does it happen to have the alloy number stamped on it?
annealing might actually allow it to straighten back out
the kids may have gotten it hot and quenched it in the sink:eek:

Dave

MapMan
01-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Don't toss it, isn't aluminum worth around .25/lb now? ;)

MM

ScadsOBees
01-19-2009, 08:47 AM
I've banged them somewhat straight with a hammer...perhaps put upsidedown on a board and with a 2x4 on top and try to slam it straight?

Mine was an old one that I didn't care about...but I suppose if you are ready to whip this one it don't matter too much either.

HAB
01-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Well, if you decide to toss it, toss it my way.:)

Sundance
01-19-2009, 10:01 AM
It's not warped enough to toss........... It is only
a problem on the glass top range.

As a last resort it will get delegated to the travel
trailer and camping.:)

berkshire bee
01-19-2009, 10:08 AM
You may be able to put it between 2 solid surfaces and use a small hydraulic jack to get it back in shape, or bring it to a local machine shop. I was always amazed at the things people used to bring in for us to straighten, usually with good success. The only thing is, if the metal has really stretched, it won't have anywhere to go and the warp will just pop into the inside of the pan

dragonfly
01-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Buy a new skillet and hide it when the kids come over.;)

HAB
01-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Shucks, thought I had a good line on a new wax melting pan.:lookout:

power napper
01-21-2009, 10:11 PM
I am from Pennsylvania and we call them skillets!
Now if you were to solidly place the "skillet" (frying pan) on a solid level surface such as a concrete floor and place a heavy metal object in the center of the bottom, then smack it hard with a heavy hammer-sledge-maul maybe it would bow in enough to level it out--maybe. :)

honeyman46408
01-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Or just get a cast iorn skillet

Sundance
01-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Or just get a cast iorn skillet

Just not fond of cast iron. I've had several but they
were a pain. Way to heavy, and generally a chore
to clean and care for.

I know many swear by them, but I just couldn't get the
hang of them.

Bizzybee
01-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Bake on a good coat of oil (seasoning). After cooking in them, wash out with a sponge and clean water, no soap, wipe on a thin coat of oil all over and hang em up. Piece of cake. No better even cooking to be had.

Love those things!!

Sorry :ot:

xC0000005
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Agreed on the cast iron. I am using a cast iron frying pan that was a gift to my wife's grandfather when he was fifteen - it was the one that his mother bought when she got married. So yes, my frying pan is older than everyone in my house put together. And it's still good.

Clean with salt or baking soda, easy as can be. Love the rippling heat for frying steak and it's good stuff.

Bodo
01-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Only problem with cast iron is that it scratches those fancy ceramic cook tops.

Barry
01-22-2009, 01:58 PM
generally a chore
to clean and care for.

A sure sign that it wasn't seasoned right. Well seasoned cast iron cookware is easy to clean. I love my cast iron.

jeff123fish
01-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I dont know anything about matelergy but what if you put it on something flat and hard like concrete and put enough weight on it to make it flat then heated it up with a torch. would letting it cool slowly retrain the metal to the shape you want?

Oldbee
01-22-2009, 03:06 PM
"Warped fry pan"?.--Sundance.

Apparently,..Sundance is 'too nice' of a guy,..or his wife,..is even,..'nicer'. :rolleyes:. [the brass knuckle {head} not IPM method] ;)

Cast iron: There are 'directions' for seasoning cast iron that include oiling and putting it in an oven at ??? degrees F. No need to wash with soap or 'clean and scour' very much. WOKS [Chinese] are oiled and seasoned this way and are a joy to use. Yes, the cast iron pans are heavy.
Chef Issac, Chef Issac! Where are you?

MapMan
01-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Enough already! Throw it in the recycling bin!

Or, better yet, get rid of the glass top range and go with LP or natural gas. Electric tops are for wimps :doh: - have you ever seen a chef or sous chef use electric? Get yourself some good cast iron and some SS pots and pans and toss that miserable aluminum "fry" pan. :D

There - I've said it! :applause:

MM

Bizzybee
01-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Only problem with cast iron is that it scratches those fancy ceramic cook tops.

Nothing a little high temp stove paint won't fix. ;)

Chef Isaac
01-31-2009, 01:24 PM
I throw away any pan that can not have high heat. when you saute and pan fry, you WANT high heat. Any pans that can handle it are gone.

Sundance
01-31-2009, 01:42 PM
I throw away any pan that can not have high heat. when you saute and pan fry, you WANT high heat. Any pans that can handle it are gone.

It probably wasn't the high heat..... more likely extremely
high heat followed by a drenching under the cold faucet.:(

Matt NY
02-08-2009, 04:54 PM
I would heat it up and then put pre-measured and pre-cut pieces of plywood on the top and bottom of the pan, finally secure this with three C-clamps.

berkshire bee
02-08-2009, 05:24 PM
cast iron on a gas stove: can't beat it

Scrapfe
02-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Take an iron pan of slightly smaller diameter than the inside bottom diameter of the aluminum pan and add some weight to the iron pan, either other iron pans nestled inside the first iron pan, or some dry gravel or clean dry sand, set the weighted iron pan inside the aluminum one. Set the stove eye at a low setting and keep an eye on it. Be advised electric stoves will get hot enough to melt an aluminum pan, probrely forever more ruining the looks of a ceramic stove top eye if not worse.

See if the heat will ease the work hardening introduced by the heat and cooling cycle. Do not use a hammer on your cherished aluminum pan unless you understand metal working. If the problem is heating and cooling, the kids proberly shrunk the aluminum pan. This is easier to correct than if they had stretched it by hammering.

If the pot seems to flatten or re-conform to the stove top, reduce the heat gradually and allow to cool slowly.

Scrapfe
02-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Just not fond of cast iron....but I just couldn't get the hang of them.

No care needed for cast iron, just wipe out with a paper towel while still hot and put away. Never wash, and if you do need to scower the insides use a SS pad in cold water, and never wash with soap. The oil inside an iron skillet will slowly migrate to the outside and form a beautiful crisp pantina, the inside will be slick as greased lighting.

I think I know way Sundance likes the aluminum skillet over the iron type, aluminum is not as painful as cast iron in the hands of an irate woman. :lpf: