PDA

View Full Version : Dadant Ranger elect model extractor.

swabby
09-25-2008, 12:46 PM
I am leaning toward purchasing this extractor . Anyone with pro or con advice? swabby

swabby
09-26-2008, 10:21 PM
bump this subject up.

RayMarler
09-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Hiya swabby, I've got no experience with the extractor in question so can give no opinion.

I have an old 4 framer that used to be a cranker. It now has a motor so much nicer, but the nicest thing is that it is wrapped in electric heating tape! Keeps the sides of extractor warm so honey rolls on down nicely, and I like to extract and let the honey sit in the bottom with the heat tape plugged in. The honey settles to bottom and cappings float to top, so when draining I get nice clean warm honey flowing at a good rate into the bucket!

BigT
09-27-2008, 08:25 AM
I have the Ranger six frame power extractor from Dadant. I love it. It has slung many gallons of honey without a flaw. It is built better than a lot of other extractors on the market and they use a top notch motor on it also. I helped someone extract honey once with a hand spun unit. Next time I helped them, I brought over my extractor and now they have a powered Ranger too. You can't go wrong with the Ranger.
Big T

swabby
09-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks Big T ,I was looking for someone with experence on this machine.I'm going to order it in the off season this fall/winter. swabby :thumbsup:

chefbeek
09-27-2008, 09:44 PM
We started this year and quickly built up to a dozen hives, 9 of which made honey. We got a lot more honey than we were anticipating. Man am I glad I got the power Ranger! We pulled almost 600# and without the ranger it would have been an all-nighter. I didn't notice a bottleneck in our extraction process and with the plan for right now building up to 20 hives next year I have no fear of the extractor being too small or slow. It's awesome. I also have confidence that it will hold much of it's value if I upgrade in the future.

FYI, the s/s is a heavier guage than a lot of the comparable models out there.

MAXANT
09-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Not a bad extractor, BUT this extractors stainless is 24 gauge which is what most manufacturers use. Maxant uses 20 gauge. (the lower the number, the thicker the ss)
Only issue I have is the stand is separate, and gets chained down? The shipping weight is ALOT for such a small extractor.
In the end its what fits your budget, and how long you want it to last!

DCurran
10-03-2008, 04:35 PM
I have the Ranger in an electric model, it works great. I haven't found anything to complain about Dadant's equipment yet...