PDA

View Full Version : Use of Minwax on hive parts

Sr. Tanya
06-13-2008, 11:44 AM
I was wondering if I can use Minwax on the outside of my lid. I've just redone it and would like to use Minwax but don't know if it would affect the bees in any way.

Thanks!
Tanya

ScadsOBees
06-13-2008, 11:57 AM
You can use anything on the outside of the hive that isn't toxic to bugs, isn't illegal, and won't cause cancer when fed in insanely large doses to lab rats.

It is fine on the outside, not that it will probably last long.

You could probably use it on the inside too, but there is no reason to waste money doing that.

Rick

Sr. Tanya
06-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi Rick,

I just had some available but if you know of a preferred paint or stain- just let me know. I do have paint but my last one from a spray can is pealing off. Looks messy, so thought I'd use something that penetrates. It has a finish in it.

Thanks!
Tanya

Cyndi
06-13-2008, 12:14 PM
I used minwax's water based stain on my hives along with a water based clear coating. It worked great for me. Stay with water base products. Anything with oil in it will just crack and peel over time. I learned that from being a painter's wife for many, many years. Never use oil based products for exterior objects...including houses.

If your using rustoleoum products for metal...different ball of wax, haaha :D

Sr. Tanya
06-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Hi Cindi,

I'll have to check but I have an idea it is oil based. I really thought Minwax was only an oil base producet.

Thanks for the information.
Tanya

Cyndi
06-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Hey Tanya,

Yes, Minwax does have a water-based stain. I use Vermont Maple on my hives. They also have a water-based protective finish, it's called Polycrylic. It does okay, but you probably could just stain them with a couple of coats and be done with it. I like the finish, but its really wierd putting it on. It has a haze to it at first and then turns clear when dry.

Good luck.

ScadsOBees
06-13-2008, 03:39 PM
It won't hurt the bees. However, there may be another finish out there that is better, but I don't know that any finish directly exposed to the sun will last all that long (maybe its that oil thing Cyndi is talking about).

I tend to just use whatever I have on hand(cheap latex exterior paint), personally I wouldn't buy any expensive finish for the hives. That finish stuff is expensive, and I've never had a bee come up to me and compliment the work I did on their hives!:)

Rick

Sr. Tanya
06-13-2008, 05:04 PM
ScadsOBees,
Come to think of it, none of my girls ever mentioned any of my work on the hives either.

Cyndi,

Thank you for the information about minwax- live and learn :rolleyes:

Tanya

Cyndi
06-13-2008, 06:15 PM
When my daughter read that about the bees not complimenting your work, she busted out laughing. My daughter helped me tremendously with the bees today. She suited up and helped me tote boxes and even did things without my asking...aaah, it was so refreshing, she's a better helper than my husband and she doesn't swat at bees with a bee suit on, :D

As for paint and coatings....nothing last forever. Most paint jobs will last 3-4 years, depending on the elements. Yes, anything that sits in the hot baking sun will eventually peel and crack. However, the oil factor in paint makes it worse. I'm not a technical person. I just used to tell customers these things and then husband would finish the conversations with his years of wisdom and experience. I do know that oil does not do well in the elements, on wood - period. Put an oil base finish on the trim or cabinetry inside your home and it will practically last forever. So, there ya go.

Minwax isn't very expensive, but I don't have many hives to deal with. Plus I get my paint at the contractors price. I use Benjamin Moore Exterior White Paint for my hives too. The stained ones are just for something different and unique. I mix them all together anyways. They used to be uniform and all, but that changed very quickly once I learned the art of splitting hives, :D :D

Sr. Tanya
06-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks, Cyndi- the information is greatly appreciated.

Glad too that your daughter enjoyed to humor. :D AND that is produced a happy bee-helper.

Sr. Tanya