PDA

View Full Version : wine corks as starter fuel?

pmarrin
05-28-2008, 06:36 AM
guess i hate to waste anything. anyone ever try to use old wine corks for starter fuel? thanks.

EKW
05-28-2008, 06:38 AM
I have not, but if you try it please post and let us know how it works.

mike haney
05-28-2008, 08:14 AM
my money says you won't be able to light them. good luck,mike

JohnK and Sheri
05-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Might be fun making sure you have enough corks on hand.
Sheri

sqkcrk
05-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Starter fuel? Do you mean smoker fuel? I'm confused. I don't know how you are going to get them to burn. Unless maybe you put them on top of some other already burning fuel.

Some of my friends like to use wood pellets. The kind you can buy at your local wood stove supply store. I haven't used them myself, so I don't know how they get them going either. I do know you have to put something above them or they will pour out of the smoker if you tilt it.

mike haney
05-28-2008, 09:29 AM
lately i have been using hamster bedding sold at (shudder) wal-mart very cheaply. has been working good for me. good luck,mike

Oldbee
05-28-2008, 09:37 AM
I haven't looked at [ingredients] bedding that is sold for pets of this kind lately, but does it sometimes contain a "pesticide", like for lice/fleas or something else? Just a quick thought.

pmarrin
05-28-2008, 09:41 AM
sorry, meant smoker fuel

mike haney
05-28-2008, 10:51 AM
I haven't looked at [ingredients] bedding that is sold for pets of this kind lately, but does it sometimes contain a "pesticide", like for lice/fleas or something else? Just a quick thought.

you are absolutely right and thanks for mentioning it.

Swobee
05-28-2008, 11:49 AM
I think it would be hard to light up the aluminum screw caps- isn't that what the 'good' wine comes sealed under? Corks? What's a cork?

Maybe dip a cork in slum gum or dirty wax to help light it. Don't use the plastic corks, because anything plastic usually burns off with toxic compounds as part of the exhaust. I think they'd be difficult to light up, but might burn for a good long time once lit. We use pellets and start them with cardboard or something else smeared in slum gum. A little tough to start, but the pellets burn a long time once you get them going.

John Gesner
05-28-2008, 12:25 PM

Nope.

BigDaddyDS
05-28-2008, 03:38 PM
I've taken a cork, shaved it down to kind of a point with my pocket knife, and I use it to "stopper" my smoker when I'm ready to extinguish it. The cork starves the burning material of oxygen and the smoker goes out relatively quickly. One cork lasts me about 2 years, and then it's time to open another bottle (of the good stuff)! ;) I've not had a cork catch fire or smoulder yet, so it's burning qualities are somewhere between "unknown" and "doubtful" to me.

Just a note, once the smoker goes out and is no longer hot to the touch, I recommend opening or loosening the smoker lid. When tar and creosote builds up, it becomes "extremely hard" to open a cold and hardened smoker lid. (Experience talking...) Once the build up gets to be too much, take a propane torch to the inside and outside rims of the smoker lid and heat it to a whitish-grey ash, let it cool, and then lightly scrape it with a hive tool. Voila! Clean smoker!

DS

Kurt S
05-30-2008, 08:37 AM
I found wood chips to be the easiest for me. As long as they are dry, a propane torch readily lights them and they burn for a long time and they are free.

MollySue'sHoney
05-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Corks are really hard to light and leave a smudge. Old time 'black face minstrels' used to use alcohol to get them to burn down to a black residue and use it to black their faces. I wouldn't reccomend them for smoker fuel.

MollySue'sHoney
05-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Cork, when it burns leaves a heavy smudge. Old time minstrels used to use alcohol to get them burning and use the resulting smudge as the blacking for their faces. I wouldn't reccomend them for smoker fuel.