PDA

View Full Version : Normal reaction to sting



HawaiiBee
05-11-2008, 06:38 PM
So, I am wondering what a normal reaction is to a bee sting. When I get stung the area swells and gets pretty hard for a week or so. I recently got stung on my the underside of my chin and it looks like I have a double chin. My ear also got stung and it has swelled up and is a lot bigger than the other ear.

Moonshae
05-11-2008, 06:54 PM
I've found that my reaction varies by the sting location. A finger sting is usually very localized, and results in that finger swelling a bit, like if you jam the knuckle. If I get stung on soft skin, such as my inner arm or the backs of my knees, I develop a very large swollen and red area that itches like the dickens!

Presumably, the more stings we get, the sooner we'll become more acclimated to the venom. I'm not really interested in doing it on purpose, though...I'm happy keeping the bees calm enough not to sting me.

silvsk
05-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Seems like a normal reaction. I did some reading on this. I get stung around the wrist, and my hand wrist area swells a bit for a few days. That is the normal reaction.

hummingberd
05-11-2008, 08:35 PM
if you're concerned, keep liquid benadryl around. Of course check with your doctor first. But that should help. :)

beegee
05-11-2008, 08:36 PM
It depends on your system. If I get stung on the hand or arm, it gets red but goes away after a few hours or sometimes a day at most. I got stung on the back of the neck last August and I still have some sort of infection that keeps on festering up all around the sting site. The doctor put me on antibiotics last year and it didn't help.

It's odd that I know several beekepers who have reported an increasing sensitivity to stings as they get older. They report that when they were young they didn't have any problems and now they have worse reations. One even is talking about quitting beekeeping because of it.

jjgbee
05-11-2008, 11:59 PM
When stung on my hand, my whole arm would swell. I put a sting on my rump every other day until swelling quite. Beeks need to get 25 stings per yr minimum

Lucus76
05-12-2008, 01:29 AM
some people get more sensitive, my wife has developed into a full blown allergy, i on the other hand and almost immune the worst i get is a small red bump for 5 minutes or so, sometimes i will discover the stinger in my arm and pull it out not knowing when i got stung. unless its the armpit, i don't have a reaction except i cry and scream like a baby. I take over 25 stings a week though.

Joseph Clemens
05-12-2008, 02:37 AM
It has been so long I don't remember any reaction other than what I get these days:

When I get stung on really sensitive areas like nose, arm pits, etc. It smarts pretty awful for about 15 seconds. If I get stung most anywhere else, it hurts a little the moment the stinger penetrates my skin, then I scrape it out. That's all - no other reactions. I wear long-sleeved white T-shirts, very loose shorts, and a veil pulled over a pith hat that I let hang loose about my neck and shoulders. Every once in awhile one gets up my shorts, but not too often.

In Junior High I was medicated often with Penicillin, which helped to cure my infections. Years later a single dose of Penicillin almost killed me with an anaphylactic shock response.

Still, I keep an epipen and benadryl just in case.

Swobee
05-12-2008, 07:34 AM
My medical advisor said to take a Zantac before working bees in case of sting. Yes, it's for upset tummies, but has incredible anti-histamine properties without drowsyness. Swelling is now minimal, itch and the other symptoms are still there. It's my ounce of prevention now. There are generics that cost a little less.

Irene S
05-12-2008, 08:35 AM
My medical advisor said to take a Zantac before working bees in case of sting. Yes, it's for upset tummies, but has incredible anti-histamine properties without drowsyness. Swelling is now minimal, itch and the other symptoms are still there. It's my ounce of prevention now. There are generics that cost a little less.

that's interesting.. I'll be sure and look into that. Thx!

I think as long as the swelling doesnt get into your system (if it 'travels') you should be okay. if it DOES, then you've got problem.

that's pretty rare, there's more of a chance you'll have an anaphylactic reaction to food or meds than you will to an insect bite.

Sambee
05-12-2008, 08:49 AM
My bee stings dont swell so much , but they hurt quite a bit, get red around the site and for 3-4 days after have a slight bruise mark with a red center. They only hurt for an hour or so though. ^^

Matt Guyrd
05-12-2008, 10:54 AM
I recently got stung on my the underside of my chin and it looks like I have a double chin. My ear also got stung and it has swelled up and is a lot bigger than the other ear.

This doesn't answer your question directly, but are you wearing a veil? If not, you might start there. Of course this doesn't minimize stings on other parts of the body.

Based on the info you provided, it sounds to me like your reactions are just that...normal sting reactions (as opposed to allergic reactions).

Matt

gingerbee
05-12-2008, 12:53 PM
If hives (red splotchy or rash-like areas) develop on arms, legs or tummy area then your reaction is systemic. How bad depends on your system. If you have trouble breathing, tightening in the chest and feel sweaty or have an upset stomach you may be going into antiphalactic (sorry about the spelling of that) shock. If you have more than localized swelling (get stung on the hand and it swells up the arm) it might be a good idea to get your doctor to prescribe an Epipen ( an easy to use auto-injector of antihistimine) just in case. It saves lives.

Also, an antihistimine taken before working with your bees is a good idea. Keeps the reaction down.