PDA

View Full Version : Still finding pollen

shawnwri
11-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Not sure what the girls are finding flowering, but they are still bringing in dark orange pollen in limited quantities. Nothing flowering nearby other than a few dandelions.

Dave W
11-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Camphorweed, Alsike Clover, Red Clover, White Clover, Goldenrod, Queen Ann's Lace, Turnip, Bull Thistle, Lady's Thumb, Nodding or Musk Thistle, Borage, Pumpkin, Blue Wood Aster, and Heath Aster may be found blooming in November. Not sure which ones have "dark orange pollen".

BjornBee
11-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Camphorweed, Alsike Clover, Red Clover, White Clover, Goldenrod, Queen Ann's Lace, Turnip, Bull Thistle, Lady's Thumb, Nodding or Musk Thistle, Borage, Pumpkin, Blue Wood Aster, and Heath Aster may be found blooming in November. Not sure which ones have "dark orange pollen".

Dandelion...... ;)

Alex Cantacuzene
11-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Here in Kentucky we have seen the same thing. We are in a suburban neighborhood and so there might be still some of the landscaping plants that provide our girls with that orange looking pollen. I have not seen any of the plants mentioned to be blooming nearby but then there is a power line right-of-way about a mile away and I think that is where the girls are getting their goodies. Bringing in pollen also seems to indicate that they still have brood. Maybe I'm wrong but still hopeful. Take care and have fun

Dave W
11-28-2007, 09:30 AM
I Guess "Color" is hard to describe :)

Is "dark orange" the same as . . .

"Golden" (ABJ, 4/07, p341) or
"Red Yellow" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source - Accessed 5/13/06)

shawnwri
11-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Dave W:

Nice link. I hadn't found that on wikipedia.

With what we have around here, my best bet would be the dandelion. All the summer annuals are gone and the winter annuals haven't had time to flower yet.

jdagpatton
11-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Shawnwri,
I live in eastern KY and still have some asters blooming (in protected places). The bees are working them every day in the 50's.
Jeff Patton

suttonbeeman
12-01-2007, 11:09 AM
I was in a couple of colonies that seemed light first part of week. One three frame colony I started first of oct had about 1/2 frame of brood....some eggs and larva. I was suprised they had that much brood....being a nuc and was hoping they would be broodless as I am heading To Fl with them this week. Wanted them broodless to treat for mites. Seems like they have used above normal stores....colonies I had marked ok were lighter than I expected. Bees have carried pollen up until last few days and some nectar until last week. Better watch stores this winter! Located in central ky

Fred Bee
12-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey, since we are guessing...I will put a vote in for Goldenrod and Dandelions. Yep, that would be my guess.

yoyo
12-01-2007, 03:21 PM
I went out to the yard today and saw bees bringing in orange pollen. I thought everything was dead now. There were drones still in the hive too.

blammer
12-14-2007, 12:52 PM
mine are bringing in "white" pollen, glad to see it!

Our weather has been crazy! 32 at night 40 for the high then the next week 45 for the low and 75 for the high!