PDA

View Full Version : 60 Minutes on CCD

Swobee
10-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Steve Kroft is doing a story on 60 Minutes this Sunday. Interviewing beekeepers and others. Could be interesting. I'm glad to see the press- CBS is interested. They had mentioned CCD on CSI & now 60 Min.

Jeffzhear
10-26-2007, 06:15 AM
I'll look forward to watching it. Thanks for pointing it out.

MichaelW
10-26-2007, 06:17 AM
wow, 60 minutes and Nature on PBS all in one night.

Walts-son-in-law
10-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Just for those who don't have access to a schedule:

The 60 minute show will be on October 28, 7PM EST
The PBS show "Silence of the Bees" October 28, 8PM EST

MadBowbee
10-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Hackenburg is a good rep. for the bee industry. I've talk to him several times, very sharp. We couldn't even come close to buying the publicity we got this year for the industry.

peggjam
10-28-2007, 08:57 PM
I watched CBS's piece tonight, and thought that it was good, and had some good info in it....but that's just my HO:).

John Gesner
10-29-2007, 07:24 AM
I watched CBS's piece tonight, and thought that it was good, and had some good info in it....but that's just my HO:).

Missed the CBS show and only saw the last half of the PBS show, but what I saw was good.

I'm trying to find a link on-line where I could view the entire 60 Minutes show, but I only seem able to find a 30 second clip... Maybe they're re-air it?

suprstakr
10-29-2007, 07:39 AM
Saw 60 min was ok , but PBS I couldn't believe my eyes was GREAT . I hope they air it a few more times , more people need to see it . Made me proud to be a BEEKEEPER .

Troy
10-29-2007, 09:56 AM
PBS NATure special

Yeah, Check your listings. On my cable it is being repeated at like 3 and 7 PM today.

I missed them both, but thanks to the re-air I will see the Nature one tonight.

Does 60 Minutes ever re-air? I can't find it in the listings online.

Yuleluder
10-29-2007, 10:21 AM
I thought the 60 minute interviewer did a pretty good job when asking Hackenberg about the stress on bees caused by commercial beekeeping. I also liked how the interviewer stated that these bees were on one pollen source the blue berries. Almost sounded like he visited beesource. :)

golddust-twins
10-29-2007, 11:41 AM
> Made me proud to be a BEEKEEPER <

Suprstakr,

We should all be very proud to be BEEKEEPERS.

Corinne

thebugmanjr
10-29-2007, 12:47 PM
I want hackenberg to have my bees instead of the state demanding the killing of them, anybody know his email or number. I would be willing to bet he might want a better bee now and not chance taking a risk of losing everything next year. ! ?

Gods Kingdom will bring earthly benifits beyond compare,
accomplishing everything good and sweet,
for his people to enjoy here on Earth!

Jeffzhear
10-29-2007, 04:40 PM
I had to take a road trip last night to a PSU event. If anyone hears of a rerun, please let me know...thanks,

yoyo
10-29-2007, 05:17 PM
PBS re-airs Wed. Oct 31st , 2am.

beemandan
10-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Ok...I really hate to do this.

I missed the CBS 60 Minutes segment. Several beeks I've talked to said that in one part Dave Hackenberg opens a hive and ....ya gotta watch closely..... removes a couple of 'shop towels'.

Did anyone here see that???????

Ann
10-29-2007, 05:59 PM
I didn't see that, and I watched it pretty closely.

Trevor Mansell
10-29-2007, 06:01 PM
They looked like shop towels or maybee those "Dri-lock" towels for fomic treatments.

MadBowbee
10-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Guys, they were not shop towels, they were the leftover paper from a Mann Lake pollen paddy.

Jim Fischer
10-29-2007, 11:57 PM
> in one part Dave Hackenberg opens a hive and ....ya gotta
> watch closely..... removes a couple of 'shop towels'.

Darn, I hoped no one else would notice that.
The scene made me suck in my breath and say "oh, dear".
Then I said "oh, bother". And "oh, crap". And other things.

Here's a "digital video to animated gif" conversion of the scene
(have supercomputer, will crunch data), for those who care to
examine it for themselves:

http://bee-quick.com/ccd/60min_slo_mo.gif
its a 2.2MB file (every 3rd frame of the video).

For those who want the full video stream of the clip
and have broadband:
http://bee-quick.com/ccd/60min.gif

And no, I can't think of a good excuse for that towel being on
the top bars either. But pictures don't lie, and video doesn't
even exaggerate.

There's gonna be a bit of a firestorm over this little faux pas.

WVbeekeeper
10-30-2007, 12:07 AM
He said he made $100,000 a year pollinating. It seems he would invest some of this back into his business in the form of EPA approved mite treatments instead of a piece of Bounty soaked in a wash tub full of "?". I don't think I'd take the risk of using something unapproved when my livelihood was at risk. And some people wonder why it was mostly the big timers that got hit with ccd:rolleyes:

tecumseh
10-30-2007, 05:38 AM
mr fischer sezs:
There's gonna be a bit of a firestorm over this little faux pas

tecumseh replies:
it sounds more to me like.... here's a gun pilgrim, why don't you do us all a favor and shoot yourself in the foot.

which is my way of suggesting that any number of 'our' problems are self inflicted.

beemandan
10-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Guys, they were not shop towels, they were the leftover paper from a Mann Lake pollen paddy.
Wow!!!! And you could even tell the brand!
To be honest, I've never seen bees leave any paper, even wax paper in the nest. It'd be chewed up at the least and most likely totally gone if it had been pollen. I'm guessing that it was something that the bees refused to chew.

RSUCHAN
10-30-2007, 08:20 AM
So just because there is a paper towell in a hive this means that this towell has some illegal some thing on it????? Please tell me more.

Jim Fischer
10-30-2007, 09:30 AM
> Guys, they were not shop towels, they were the leftover paper
> from a Mann Lake pollen paddy.

Uh huh, suuuure.
Nope, I have the hi-rez HDTV video, and the paper was not
stiff at all, you can see it is "supple" when handled even
in the low-rez video I put up.

Anyway, who the heck leaves the paper on the patties
when deploying them?

OK, any number can play - perhaps they were paper towels
soaked with ummm....

...vegetable oil or shortening for Tracheal mite control!

.... samples of the new liquid bee diet!

Or, perhaps this was a mere hive record. They used paper towels
because they ran out of notebook paper.

Maybe the hive gets home delivery of the "Sacramento Bee" newspaper.

I'll keep going until I stumble upon one that seems plausible.

tecumseh
10-30-2007, 05:41 PM
mr fischer sezs:
Maybe the hive gets home delivery of the "Sacramento Bee" newspaper.

tecumseh thinks...
now there ya' go.

MadBowbee
10-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Fisher, I can't get your link to do video, just a photo. Maybe your right, but Sun. night when I watched it looked like he pulled out chewed up paper from a paddy, maybe it was the PBS show.... though your pic. looks like a shop towel. Did you zoom in with your fancy "supercomputer"? One would think you'd make sure that is out of the hive when you have national cameras coming over.

kenpkr
10-30-2007, 08:05 PM
For those who didn't catch the 60 Minutes episode on CCD Sunday night here is the link to view the video segment. Click on the small box at the lower right hand corner of the video screen to enlarge it to fit your screen.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/25/60minutes/main3407762.shtml