PDA

View Full Version : Stopping afterswarms

LegionŠ
10-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Since I failed to get the hive split in time to stop the main swarm I'm now hoping to stop them from throwing any more swarms.

The weather was supposed to be rubbish for the remainder of this week, so I was thinking that might do it, but it's a lovely day out today :(

I checked on them yesterday and there are swarm cells galore, I pulled 5 or so frames from the brood area and all had at least one queen cell. My initial plan is to take 5 of the medium frames (they're in 2 mediums and a deep for brood) and put into a Nuc complete with any bees that are on those frames.

My second plan was to take the remaining 5 frames from that box (or a mixture to make up a full box), preferably ones without queen cells, and put them above the excluder. Will doing this make any new queen see the hive as being weaker than if those frames were still down in the brood area?
There is a top entrance/exit for drones, and any queen cells will be removed from those frames.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track here? I'm still playing catchup with equipment, I need more frames darn it!

ScadsOBees
10-01-2007, 03:10 PM
There may or may not be afterswarms. Often the first queen out will kill the rest or fight to death any other hatched queens.

The best bet is to get some of the frames out to lessen the congestion. Otherwise it wouldn't hurt to split up the hive a bit. Sometimes just the manipulations can set them back far enough to stop them from further swarming. Then just put them back togather when they are stablized with laying queens.

Rick

WVbeekeeper
10-01-2007, 06:22 PM
>Since I failed to get the hive split in time to stop the main swarm I'm now hoping to stop them from throwing any more swarms.

once they decide to swarm, there is little you can do to stop them without taking drastic measures.

>The weather was supposed to be rubbish for the remainder of this week, so I was thinking that might do it, but it's a lovely day out today :(

it only takes a few minutes during good weather to go through your hive and to make adjustments if you are prepared.

>I checked on them yesterday and there are swarm cells galore, I pulled 5 or so frames from the brood area and all had at least one queen cell. My initial plan is to take 5 of the medium frames (they're in 2 mediums and a deep for brood) and put into a Nuc complete with any bees that are on those frames.

sounds good. you could even pull 3 frames, one with open brood, one with closed brood, and one with honey, out of the deep and replace with foundation or empty frames. put the frames in a four frame nuc and add an extra frames and use a few queen cells for the nuc. adding empty frames would help, but i think the bees probably already solved their problem on their own.

>My second plan was to take the remaining 5 frames from that box (or a mixture to make up a full box), preferably ones without queen cells, and put them above the excluder.

i don't think i would put an excluder in the middle of the brood nest.

>Will doing this make any new queen see the hive as being weaker than if those frames were still down in the brood area?

it's the workers you need to fool, they are the one who decide when to swarm

>There is a top entrance/exit for drones, and any queen cells will be removed from those frames.

you could sell the cells or start some additional nucs with them.

>Thoughts? Am I on the right track here? I'm still playing catchup with equipment, I need more frames darn it!

i hope you get some more equipment soon. good luck.

Dale Hodges
10-01-2007, 09:22 PM
The way I stop after swarms is to move the hive that swarmed, in the day time while the field bees are out working( 10 t0 15 feet is enough) Put the swarm or a weak hive where the swarmed hive was. This weakens the main hive..they lost thier field bees.(and the urge to swarm) It builts up the swarm or weak hive. Its not perfect but works most of the time

LegionŠ
10-02-2007, 03:52 AM
I switched around the brood boxes today, and took 3 frames and bees out to form a nuc. I found 3 open queen cells, so I'm not sure if there was an afterswarm or if there is a virgin queen somewhere that's killing the others. A bunch of workers looked to be scraping at one of the capped cells, so they may be tearing them down. Two capped Q cells went into the Nuc, so hopefully that will be successful, and I'll keep it as an emergency queen, and perhaps recombine it into the hive later in the summer. The queen could also be useful for requeening the somewhat hotter neighbouring hive.

I can't tell if more bees have left, I lost count when they kept moving :)