PDA

View Full Version : Bad Smell

applebwoi
09-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Recently I've noticed a sour smell around my hives. Do I need to worry about AFB or is it more likely golden rod pollen or something like that? I haven't opened the hive to look at the brood boxes. I usually don't like to bother them unless I need to do something specific or am harvesting honey, which I'll be doing again in a couple of weeks. Hives appear very healthy based on bee activity and number of bees.

paintingpreacher
09-03-2007, 04:48 PM
If the goldenrod is blooming and your bees are working it there will definitely be a strange smell. I would like to get a whiff of that around my hives. No goldenrod so for. Too dry..

Mike Gillmore
09-03-2007, 04:52 PM
If the smell reminds you of sweaty old gym socks, then it's the goldenrod nectar. :)

If it's a rotten meat type smell, better open em up and take a look.

Michael Bush
09-03-2007, 05:00 PM
>If the smell reminds you of sweaty old gym socks

That's exactly what it smells like to me too.

Michael Palmer
09-03-2007, 07:00 PM
>If the smell reminds you of sweaty old gym socks, then it's the goldenrod nectar. <

Had a dairy farmer tell me..after the Goldenrod flow...that my bees smelled worse than anything he had ever smelled. Imagine! Coming from someone who has his head stuck in the rear end of a cow, and knee deep in manure.

ScadsOBees
09-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Sour...that is how my better half describes it. I think it just smells like sour socks.
Sometimes during the summer when I'm really sweaty I start smelling exactly like goldenrod, although my wife just calls it B.O.

Rick

Jeffzhear
09-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Goldenrod is a wonderful smell....lol, but yes, it smells like dirty socks to me also! lol....

We are having a great flow of goldenrod, japanese knotweed and purple loosestrive... The bees were working right up until dark. I was sitting in my yard here at the house and enjoyed taking in the last rush of honeybees home from the field just before dark set in. A beautiful sight as the airways were full...:)

Hill's Hivery
09-03-2007, 09:03 PM
I will agree with the old sweaty sour sock smell. Golden rod blooms are just begining to open here. Hope to get a "whiff" soon! :)

riverrat
09-04-2007, 06:08 AM
moved a few hives last night onto black seed sunflowers:D the guy helping must have never took gym in high school. the golden rod was wafting out of one hive real strong thought the ole boy was going to loose it. for a minute. :eek:

stingmaster
09-04-2007, 07:39 AM
The first time I smelled the "smell" I too thought that I had some dred disease. To me, it smelled like rotting little bee carcasses. I was so worried...except for the fact that the hives were so healthy. I think, since I smoke, my sence of smell is kinda' messed up. Old gym socks is not the smell I perceived-it really was the smell of decomposition. Another good reason to quit smoking, lol. Whatever the case, at this time of year, I do not freak when I smell funk from the hives- although none yet here in N. E. Texas- just had our first rain in 6 weeks yesterday. Nothing has yet stated blooming so my hives still smell sw-eeeeet.

A.I.
09-04-2007, 10:20 AM
my bees are thriving and packing in the Goldenrod pollen (hat off to Pegjam). Now, I know what dirty laundry smells like, and no way do the hives smell like that.

It smells like hay/meadow in the fall, but concentrated. It is a bit early, but I did see some migratory geese flocks this weekend.

Fall pollen tastes great in cut comb honey, too.

kc in wv
09-04-2007, 02:23 PM
>If the smell reminds you of sweaty old gym socks

That's exactly what it smells like to me too.

My wife say's it smells like my gym socks :rolleyes: not her's

Benton2569
09-04-2007, 07:48 PM
First time I smelled golden rod I thought the same thing - must be something wrong with the hive. Strangely enough it is one of those bee moments that you always remember (the other is jewel weed).

berkshire bee
09-04-2007, 11:23 PM
I also thought there was a problem the first time I smelled it. I panicked and started calling club members to find out what was wrong. (I was also afraid it was foulbrood)I would agree dirty sock/ cheese best describes it. The thing is once you know what it is and experience it a few times, it becomes a pleasant smell. I have some hives about 75 or so feet from the house and can smell them from the back door.

UtahBeekeeper
09-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Seems the plant has some folk remedy properties. Wonder if the honey carries some of those properties. The link for entire article is here (http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/info/herbs/golden.asp). I quote a portion:

"Goldenrod contains bioflavonoids, which strengthen the veins and is therefore indicated for varicose veins and fragile capillaries. It is also a carminative, and will ease colic and flatulence. :o Because of its antifungal properties, it can be used as a douche. :eek: Goldenrod is generally prepared as an infusion (http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/info/herbs/preparin.asp#infusion)."

A new market for products of the hive?? JP

Michael Bush
09-05-2007, 06:05 AM
>The thing is once you know what it is and experience it a few times, it becomes a pleasant smell.

True. It smells like good stores for winter...

Benton2569
09-05-2007, 07:33 PM
what's the old saying "if it smells like colone, leave it alone"

applebwoi
09-07-2007, 06:11 PM
M. Bush " True. It smells like good stores for winter..."

Is the honey from golden rod ok to eat or does it taste like it smells?

Michael Bush
09-07-2007, 08:42 PM
>Is the honey from golden rod ok to eat or does it taste like it smells?

Some people love it and some hate it. I love it. Once it's been cured and capped it does not smell or taste that way anymore.

Kevin M
09-08-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm still waiting for that GR smell..I like the smell, haven't tasted any as of yet...Last late summer/early Last fall i smelled GR very strongly around my first hive, not yet this yr.though...I've been feeding and there eating it quickly...I guesss they need it, there taking, i'm feeding. I checked them all out last week and there kinda light...I figure if there taking, there using what they need and putting up stores...I don't believe the GR flow has really started yet here.I see it blooming all around, don't know what variety of GR, a couple different types...I'll keep feeding until they don't want it...just trying to get the set for winter...
I hope i smell that GR soon...!

Benton2569
09-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Well, I think it is finally here. The bees were going crazy today and the pungent smell of gym sox fills the air. Aaah, how wretchid, errr ... sweet it is. I have been waiting and watching for weeks. Now I can take a break from the feeding and let the bees start to pack in some nectar.

IslandMountainFarm
09-14-2007, 04:40 PM
First time I smelled golden rod I thought the same thing - must be something wrong with the hive. Strangely enough it is one of those bee moments that you always remember (the other is jewel weed).

I'm sitting here in my beesuit so grateful for this resource. Opened my first hive for feeding and got a good whiff of YUCK!! Thought, uh oh I'd better tear this hive down to the brood and look for trouble. Then I thought, no, go to BeeSource and do some research.

We've got LOTS of goldenrod blooming right now and the hive smells like my old high school gym locker smelled like when I left my stuff in it over a long weekend.

Glad they've got it to work and I'm not going to have any trouble letting them keep it. Hmmm, just read the whole thread, maybe they won't get to keep it all LOL.

Thanks to all of you for being so generous with your knowledge and experience.

Kevin M
09-15-2007, 05:38 AM
Finally,i smelled golden rod around my hives yesterday....! What a beautiful smell..:) Now i can take a break from feeding as well, for now..

amandrea
09-15-2007, 03:49 PM
My have doesn't smell like old gym socks but seems to have a light smell of bread dough. Hive is packed full of bees, very calm and gentle, plenty of pollen comming in, tray for SBB covered with dropped yellow pollen, ground around hive has plenty of yellow jackets crawling around but none trying to get in. Having read this thread I'm going to assume all is well but will start terramycin treatment tomorrow. Didn't wear a bee suit and seem to have the smell on me.

Mike Gillmore
09-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Having read this thread I'm going to assume all is well but will start terramycin treatment tomorrow.

Why are you starting terramycin treatments? I don't understand. Would you go on Chemo treatments just because you suspected you "might" have cancer?

amandrea
09-15-2007, 04:38 PM
From betterbee states for October "If you use termycin as a preventative for fould brood now is the time to dust.." Also says to feed Fumidil with last feeding or early November.