PDA

View Full Version : Do bees work Water Hyacinth?

stingmaster
08-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Perhaps some of you deep South folks will know.. I have a pond that is infested with the stuff. For those of you who are familiar with this plant, you know what I mean. Though the pond is on my property, I can not get close enough to see if the bees are working the blooms- the pond is a sheet of purple right now. Many of my hives are situated at waters edge- if they do like the stuff, it is a real buffet right now. Has anyone seen bees working this plant?

Walt McBride
08-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I have never seen bees working Water Hyacinth flowers.
I have used Water Hyacinth in 5 gal. and 40 gal. containers in my different out yards to keep the water reasonably fresh for the bees. I know in a pond this plant can be invasive.
Walt

stingmaster
08-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks Walt....figures that the water hyacinth is useless for me except to clog up and wreck my pond. You know what though, your idea of using it to keep water in containers kinda fresh....I might just do that. I use kiddie pools in my yards. The W.H. would block the sunlight and keep the algea from running amok. Thanks again!

Ross
08-02-2007, 07:56 AM
They work Purple Pickerel weed in my pond. Spray that hyacinth and plant some. Hyacinth is illegal to grow in Texas anyway. As you know, once you have it, it's the devil to get rid of.

cdanderson
08-02-2007, 08:11 AM
I dont know if they work the blooms but they do love to land on the plant and use it as a ladder to go down and get water. I think they feel safer. It makes a great natural way to help prevent drowning. :)

Cyndi
08-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Hyacinth is illegal to grow in Texas anyway. As you know, once you have it, it's the devil to get rid of.

Here in the mountains of NC, the first cold snap will kill the plants. It gets all mushy and gushy - yuck, what a mess. They sure are pretty when they bloom. But, yea, I've heard they're pretty bad in the southern areas....kinda like the kudzu I suppose. Speaking of kudzu....

Last year I was at a Fall Festival here in the mountains. This lady had kudzu jelly. It was very good. I wonder how the honeybees like kudzu flowers??

Bizzybee
08-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Manatees like Water Hyacinth..... Bees don't.

Cyndi, I'm from where you are. WNC anyhow. Never heard of kudzu jelly?? How exactly would one go about making that?????

Bees like zudzu by the way. Should be coming in soon round here?? Check this guy out.

http://www.millersand.com/honey.htm

Cyndi
08-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Bizzybee,

How can you bee from WNC...it says your from Loganville, Ga. Looks like you and me traded places....I'm a native Atlantan, :D

I checked out your friend's web site....he has a book called "Kudzu in America"....Chapter 23 has a bonus section that has the recipe for Kudzu Blossom Jelly. I guess Kudzu has berries?? I've never pulled over the side of the highway to check it out. Next time, I'll pay more attention to it when I see it blooming.

Bizzybee
08-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Crazy ain't it! I grew up, spent 30 years in Asheville. Moved down here in "97" :) Hmmm the math don't work?? I must still be 29..... :D

I'll have to check out that book. I've never really looked at that site. Just knew of it..

drdendro
08-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Kudzu is a member of the bean/legume family and produces seeds in a pod. The pod is very hairy. The jelly/jam is usually made from the flowers which smell like grape bubblegum to me.

Lisa

James Henderson
08-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Owners of one of my yards planted water hyacinth in one of their large water gardens. They said my honeybees were all over the blossoms when the plant was flowering a month or so ago.

BULLSEYE BILL
08-02-2007, 10:08 PM
I had a watergarden at my last home. My bees liked to visit the PH, don't know what, if anything, they were getting from it.

Bizzybee
08-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Never seen em on a bloom before James. Just because I ain't seen it don't make it untrue though........

Such a pretty little flower to last only a day :(