PDA

View Full Version : Does Dipel (BT) Harm Bees?

Tulipwood
03-25-2007, 04:46 PM
I have used Dipel in the past. It is BT (bacillus thuringensis) powder that is mixed with water to spray fruit trees and vegetables against caterpillars, etc. Does anyone know if it is harmful to bees?

drobbins
03-25-2007, 04:57 PM
a certain strain of BT is actually sold (in Canada) as a treatment for wax moth
you spray it on the combs
Sundance has some for sale in the "For Sale" section, he should know if there's some strain to be avoided

Dave

Sundance
03-25-2007, 05:07 PM
I have used Dipel in the past. It is BT (bacillus thuringensis) powder that is mixed with water to spray fruit trees and vegetables against caterpillars, etc. Does anyone know if it is harmful to bees?

DiPel is Bt-kurstaki

Certan and the Xentari I handle are Bt-aizawai

Bt-aizawai does not harm bees and is certified for use in organic
farming operations (like my apple orchard).

Other Bt subspecies may have some effectiveness but only
the aizawai strain has been certified in Canada for use with
bees.

Kieck
03-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Dipel should cause no problems for bees. The proteins are specifically toxic to certain groups of insects, and bees have not been affected by the toxins in Dipel in any studies that I've seen.

Also, please note that the Dipel is not a systemic treatment for fruit trees. The trees (plants) will not "take up" the Dipel and spread it through their vascular systems.

Tulipwood
03-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Interesting. The Dipel I have is from Bonide and it says Bacillus thuringiensis and then it says subspecies kurtaski. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Tia
03-26-2007, 04:35 PM
I used to use Dipel before I found out about Certan. It never harmed my bees.