View Full Version : Wintering Bees in Texas

Tanabee
06-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know of any good towns to winter bees
in, in Southeast or South Texas?

Tanabee

tecumseh
06-08-2006, 07:52 PM
there are a bunch of 'em. what are your particular requirements?

south texas is early, but can be quite unpredictable, and depending on how far down you go another 7 to 8 hour drive. george dilley (who is on here from time to time) is from down in hidalgo county, why don't you drop him a note.

there are a lot of folks spread out over east and deep east texas from beaumont to tyler. location are likely hard to come by at the beaumont end (where there is a bit of a temperature gradient benefit from the gulf). bunchs of towns come to mind... warren, crockett, mt enterprise. I see commercial guys set down all around them in the winter and early spring.

Ross
06-09-2006, 08:46 AM
You won't get anything to feed on around Tyler in the winter, not until late Feb or early Mar. I'd head for the gulf coast.

Tanabee
06-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the good info, I appreciate it. Does anyone know the email of this George Dilley person so I might contact him directly?

--Tanabee

drobbins
06-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Tanabee

here's his profile

http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=00003095

you can send a personal message from there

Dave

george dilley
06-09-2006, 08:30 PM
tanabee check your pm's i sent you a message.

wfarler
06-09-2006, 11:46 PM
you'll need to stay outside of the AHB Quarantine counties if your trucking back north.

pull up the USDA maps and you can get the temp gradients or check 'almanac' on a city on weather.com

the tallow flow is in may if that's what your looking for.

if your next stop is almonds in feb you'll have to contend with IRFA.

I don't know that they are wintering for the forage as much as the temperatures. I've heard of yards with 500 hives so if that's the case they are just there for the temp and are feeding for buildup. If that's true you can just go buy or lease an acreage for a yard. I don't think there is much forage dec-feb down there but honestly when I lived there I was bee ignorant.

tecumseh
06-10-2006, 03:48 AM
wfarler adds:
you'll need to stay outside of the AHB Quarantine counties if your trucking back north.

tecumseh inquires:
I thought the state bee inspector had terminated this desigination. did I get that message incorrectly?

Beemaninsa
06-10-2006, 04:09 AM
It is my understanding that the AHB quarantine has been droped also, but I STILL haven't seen this change in writing. Seems many comm beeks go to East Texas due to early good reliable pollen and I think minor AHB problems. I would not go to valley if you are queen rearing. If you are going to California you can have beetle problems in TX along with fire ants.

tecumseh
06-10-2006, 04:18 AM
beemaninsa adds:
If you are going to California you can have beetle problems in TX along with fire ants.

tecumseh sezs:
I would be a bit more concerned about the ants than the beetles as far as making winter increase is concerned. are they checking at the california entry points for both?

Beemaninsa
06-10-2006, 07:45 PM
They are checking at California entry points for both beetle and fire ants.

Beemaninsa
06-11-2006, 10:51 AM
I would call the Texas Apiary Inspector and get his take on where to go also. Explain what you want to do. IE: prepare for almonds, make early honey, make late honey, make splits and raise your own queens, any of these would have a bearing on best area to go to.

tecumseh
06-12-2006, 05:45 AM
to beemaninsa comment I would add the the thing that would hit the top of my priority list is timing.

which is to say that where someone would decide to locate should be somewhat determined by the date you desired to go back north.

I do suspect there are many more areas of texas that would be acceptable for wintering bees. geographically the first thing I would look for is a river.

george dilley
06-12-2006, 02:30 PM
if you are looking at deep south texas a river is not needed the area is criss-crossed with irrigation canals for farm fields lots of water around for bees