PDA

View Full Version : Something I heard today......

Daisy
08-30-2003, 06:53 PM
And wondered if it would work around a beehive against fourlegged varmits.

I hope the reader isn't to proper but here goes.

I heard that if........... Maybe I shouldn't say it.........

Hmmmm.

Well I just gotta,

If human urine were placed around the garden it keeps the deer and wolves away.

So what about human urine around the beehive against skunks?

Yeah, I know it's crazy but......

honeyman46408
08-30-2003, 06:57 PM
It never keep the deer out of my garden.

fat/beeman
08-30-2003, 07:05 PM
hi
just putting my 2 cents in I use a staple gun to put a row of staples in bottom board from bottom about 1/4 in apart when skunk rakes paws it hurts and no more problems
Don

BjornBee
08-30-2003, 07:06 PM
Honeyman,...But you never tried Daisy's urine.

[This message has been edited by BjornBee (edited August 30, 2003).]

honeyman46408
08-30-2003, 08:29 PM
I will not go there!

Daisy
08-30-2003, 10:00 PM
Guess no one has heard of this.....

BILLY BOB
08-31-2003, 05:09 AM
Hi all,

Animals are funny about what they will do for food. One of the biggest things to remember is how much human contact the animal has had. Like if you live in a more populated area the animal may not have a problem with people at all. Another thing is what the animal thinks is clean or not clean. Most animals would not think that human urine is clean, but others wouldn't give it a second thought.(is the animal a scavenger or not). Alot of things have been used to keep animals away from our stuf, like hair, scare crows, urine, pie pans ect. Some work better than others. Most times you have to reapply things like hair, and urine after it rains. Also when you are using urine you are (based on the amount) ether telling the animal that "this is where I go potty" or "this is mine go away". If you are dealing with a scavenger they will not mind looking for food where you go potty. Whith all this said remember, if you are having a problem with a animal urine, hair, pots, scare crows ect. most likly will not work becouse the animal has found a good food source. Just becouse we see a car reck doesn't keep us from going to the store. Lastly if you do use urine remember you will have to reapply it and you don't want your beeyard smelling like a out house. http://www.beesource.com/ubb/smile.gif

BB

5TR-Apiary
08-31-2003, 05:15 AM
Daisy, most animals mark their territory with urine.
We have a friend who did this at his pond every nite beacuse a fox had caught some of his geese and for some reason it worked. After he started, he did not lose any more geese. Not sure if the fox moved on or if it really worked.

I know many hunters who will take a bottle to pee in because (according to them) "no deer would ever come around if they smelled human urine"!

Why not try it. At no cost and no/little harm to the ground/surrounding area what would it hurt. Good luck, Debbie

hoosierhiver
09-01-2003, 02:06 PM
i'd be careful when peeing at your hive entrance(Ouch),also the smell of human urine varies alot depending upon diet/amt of sugar/medicines etc.,that may influence things

Daisy
09-01-2003, 05:55 PM
I was beginning to think maybe the person who told this to me was crazy. But it appears that in some cases it's affective.

No I wasn't suggesting that people potty on their beehives. LOL

mnist
09-01-2003, 06:34 PM
Daisy a holistic person like yourself should know the power of your urine all depends on what you eat.

For some strange reason my husband recommends you try asparagus. http://www.beesource.com/ubb/wink.gif

Michael Bush
09-02-2003, 05:17 AM
I agree it depends on the species of animal and on the exposure that animal has had to humans. It's effective on some animals like foxes and coyotes more than other animals. I haven't had it work on rabbits or skunks or coyotes around here. But it doesn't cost much (other than risk of stinging if you're actually going to do it there). And what will it hurt?

wjw777
09-02-2003, 03:00 PM
Hi Everyone,
By far this has been the best forum ive seen since i been on here . Keep it up daisy and the rest of you. As Always
Walt

BULLSEYE BILL
09-02-2003, 09:57 PM
>The visual image still has me laughing.

Yeah, Coyote hiking up one leg http://www.beesource.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Bill

Zeke
09-03-2003, 09:37 AM
touche' Bullseye Bill :)
Zeke

mark williams
09-03-2003, 09:59 AM
I've heard all of my life,about oldtimer beekeepers(that's me now)letting human urine soak into corn comb's for bee bait & tracking them back to the hives.
Has anyone else heard this?>>>>MARK

Michael Bush
09-03-2003, 10:32 AM
I have heard of urine in bait to do beelining. From what I've seen bees don't differentiate between bad smells and good smells. They just notice smells, investigate them and then recruit more bees using the smell. Syrup without smell doesn't get investigated and even if it does they have trouble recruiting. I think this is why you often see bees at smelly water. When you are a worker bee, it's easier to recruit help when what you are collecting is easily found by smell.

Personally I'd use Honey Bee Healthy for bait because they can't help but investigate the Lemongrass since it smells like Nasonov pheromone, and the peppermint has enough smell to recruit with. But Lemongrass oil and wintergreen or anise or peppermint or almost anything else that has a strong odor would work including urine.

As a side note, this is how it was discovered that insulin was made by the pancreas. A rather sadistic doctor was angry at the neighbor's dog for defecating in his yard, so he used some ether for anesthetic and removed the dog's pancreas. I don't know why he chose that particular organ, but he did. Several days later he noticed a lot of bees around where the dog urinated. He analyzed the urine and discovered that it contained a lot of sugar.

Of course today they would have jailed him for animal cruelty, but then they were just thrilled to finally understand diabetes.