PDA

View Full Version : Purple Cordovan and Red Honeybees

samak
12-23-2006, 06:01 PM
According to "The Beekeepers Handbook", "The Italian Cordovans are a color mutation...produced by Dr. Bud Cale."
"...the black body color comes out red in Italians or a purple bronze in Caucasian and Carniolan bees. This latter bee is called a Purple Cordovan."

Does anybody know where I can get a Purple Cordovan queen from for my observation hive?
Has anybody ever seen such bees described above? Are they really red and black and purple as mentioned?

BjornBee
12-24-2006, 05:25 AM
I never seen one.

With all the problems in the industry, and the other gains that could be had from selecting more important traits, such as hygienic and desease resistance, I would be hard pressed to take any breeder serious that spent time on such endeavors.

Slap a purple dot on a queens back and call her a "purple cordovan". :D

WG Bee Farm
12-24-2006, 06:00 AM
Samak,
You can order a Cordovan Italian from Glenn Ap. in Fallbrook Calf.
Go to their website queenb95@aol.com for information. Cordovans have been used by many researchers for their genetic tracking and experiments. Bud Cale used it as a tracking mech. to verify mating accuracy in his Starline line of queens.
Cordovans are bueatiful queens and would make a great OB display. However, Tom and Suki Glenn sell breeder queens and you may find them more expensive than you want to invest.
Frank Wyatt
WG Bee Farm
Eden,NC

BjornBee
12-24-2006, 06:12 AM
There are also others on the bee/suppliers page on beesource. K&B from Mississippi has something called a "redhead" and a breeder from Ohio has a cordovan listed for sale. Cordovans are nice and very calm.

I did a quick search and can find nobody advertising a purple cordovan.