View Full Version : Purple Cordovan and Red Honeybees

12-23-2006, 06:01 PM
According to "The Beekeepers Handbook", "The Italian Cordovans are a color mutation...produced by Dr. Bud Cale."
"...the black body color comes out red in Italians or a purple bronze in Caucasian and Carniolan bees. This latter bee is called a Purple Cordovan."

Does anybody know where I can get a Purple Cordovan queen from for my observation hive?
Has anybody ever seen such bees described above? Are they really red and black and purple as mentioned?

12-24-2006, 05:25 AM
I never seen one.

With all the problems in the industry, and the other gains that could be had from selecting more important traits, such as hygienic and desease resistance, I would be hard pressed to take any breeder serious that spent time on such endeavors.

Slap a purple dot on a queens back and call her a "purple cordovan". :D

WG Bee Farm
12-24-2006, 06:00 AM
You can order a Cordovan Italian from Glenn Ap. in Fallbrook Calf.
Go to their website queenb95@aol.com for information. Cordovans have been used by many researchers for their genetic tracking and experiments. Bud Cale used it as a tracking mech. to verify mating accuracy in his Starline line of queens.
Cordovans are bueatiful queens and would make a great OB display. However, Tom and Suki Glenn sell breeder queens and you may find them more expensive than you want to invest.
Frank Wyatt
WG Bee Farm

12-24-2006, 06:12 AM
There are also others on the bee/suppliers page on beesource. K&B from Mississippi has something called a "redhead" and a breeder from Ohio has a cordovan listed for sale. Cordovans are nice and very calm.

I did a quick search and can find nobody advertising a purple cordovan.