PDA

View Full Version : racoons

dietrich
09-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Do racoons tend to be much of a problem bothering beehives? I seem to have quite a few on my property this year. They haven't messed with my one hive yet.

------------------

BILLY BOB
09-30-2003, 03:38 PM
I can only speak for myself when I say that I have never had a problem with coons. I would think if the hive is weak it could fall prey to one.

Coons have a nack for more solid foods like meat, bread, ect. I did have one old swarm frame that I had removed from a hive and left it in the bee yard. (Something)....drug it off to the side of the woods and chewed on it some. I like to think it was a coon but I do not know for sure.

My main bee yard is somewhat secluded and we have plenty of coons in the area. With the exception of the one frame that I don't consider a loss that is the only problem I have ever had.

BB

hoosierhiver
09-30-2003, 03:55 PM
a few years ago i had a hive that suddenly got mean,i found the tray for my screened bottom board off in the weeds,the raccoons were taking the tray out at night and licking off any pollen that had fallen down.(i knew it was raccoons from the tracks on the board).

honeyman46408
09-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Last spring I lost about a dozen hives to coons they pulled the metal mouse guards out at each end and ate the bees as they came out to defend the hive depeleting the population and cold weather finished them.
They don`t seem to bother them when their food suppy is good elswhere altho I have killed 11 sence the end of March.

BEEn Stung
09-30-2003, 08:04 PM
I catch many coon by the bee hives. The hives seem to atract them. I don't know what they would be up to if I didn't catch them but , from past experience with coon, it would not be good. AS a bonus this way I catch them before the sweetcorn is ripe. I know what they do with that.

------------------
Erwin

dietrich
10-01-2003, 12:54 PM
I've trapped 16 since the first of August. They've been eating the grapes in my vineyard and have really messed things up this year. I suspect that once I harvest what's left, they might have a go at the hive. Anyway I'll be on guard. Thanks to all who replied.

------------------