PDA

View Full Version : Nailers and Staplers for assembling hives and frames

wfarler
11-27-2003, 07:49 PM
I have a pickup load of woodenware that I laid in for my winter. Looking at 150 boxes and 1500 frames to assemble has me looking at a staple gun or nailer to make the job faster and easier.

The starter kit I orginally ordered when I got my first hive had 10 already assembled frames in it. MannLake had used a narrow stapler to put the frames together. I priced a Porter-Cable stapler at $88, but I already have the compressor it runs off of. I also looked at nailers that were similarly priced but I wasn't sure what size would work. I use #6 or #7 nails on my boxes, the guns are all in metric.

I thought I would ask for the advice of the board or using these guns and what sizes to use.

greenbeekeeping
11-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Hi there. I use a senco 1/4" narrow crown stapler to assemble all of my frames. It is pretty old now, my dad is the origanal owner and he has owned the stapler for over 20 years. Senco's are not the cheapest but they sure do last. They are available at most Lowe's I believe. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by greenbeekeeping (edited November 28, 2003).]

odfrank
11-27-2003, 09:59 PM
I use a 3/8" X 1 1/2" staple for the top bar, and a 2" long brad for the bottoms and throught the sidebar into the top bar. Gorilla glue. I think supers are best done with drive screws. The T-nails I have used on supers work their way out over the years.

Michael Bush
11-28-2003, 09:52 AM
I was a carpenter for years and never owned a gun, but doing frames convinced me. I got tired of bending nails.

I bought the gun that Walter T. Kelly has. It's 1/4 wide crown stapler. I have staples from 1/2" to 1 1/2" that I buy at Home Depot. For boxes I use the 1 1/2". I use the 1/2" or 5/8" for putting thin plywood on top of vent boxes and putting solid fixed bottoms on swarm traps and nuc boxes. I use the 1 1/4" for putting strips on for handles on homemade boxes (doesn't quite go through two 3/4" boards). I use the 1" for frames. I use a frame nailing device from Walter T. Kelly to hold the frames. I nail through the end bars horizontally into the top bars so the nails have to shear (or the wood break) to come out. Nailing straight down through the top bar into the end bar doesn't hold much.

dickm
11-28-2003, 04:46 PM
Try www.harborfreight.com (http://www.harborfreight.com) They have good prices on many things especially staplers and brad nailers.

Dickm

John Buckner
11-28-2003, 05:01 PM
I got my 1/4" crown, 1/2" X 1 5/8" stapler from Harbor Frt., for $ 29.95, with allen wrenches,oil,4 sizes of staples,1/4" air hose connector and case.
Works for me.
JB

Hillbillynursery
11-28-2003, 07:50 PM
I love my senco stapler. Mine is the 1/4 crown yet goes to 1 3/4" long. I was a mobile home serviceman and needed it as it is very hard to hold something together and nail it when by ones self. I have a brad nailer but it is to small for hive boxes. I bought all my equipment pre assembled as I got it cheaper buying complete kit. I am planning on using a framing nailer with #8 galvanised ringshang. I have used these building decks and they hold real well and sometimes to well as the wood will split when trying to move it. So have you tried using these framing guns with ringshank nails?