View Full Version : Honey Producing License?

George Fergusson
07-23-2005, 04:09 AM
Are there any requirements for licensing in your state for bottling and selling honey? According to some sources, here in Maine one requires a "Food And Fuel" license under the "home food processing" provision in order to extract, strain, bottle, and sell "un-processed" honey. The cost is $10 per year and you need a current water test (approximately $30) to apply or re-apply for the license.

According to one Maine State Department of Agriculture employee, you need a license to sell comb honey, according to another, you do not- only for extracted honey. Something is wrong here, and I'm going to get to the bottom of this but in the meantime, I'm interested in what kinds of licensing hoops people in other states have to jump through.


Lew Best
07-23-2005, 07:38 AM
Here in TX we are supposed to get a license from the health department to bottle & sell honey. Processing and honey storage must be set up in an area away from the "normal living area." The inspector said they normally inspect once a year; have specific requirements for the honey house which (fortunately) a room in the barn of my new place meets with only minor renovations (like hot & cold water, has cold only now; covered light fixtures as in no bare bulbs, etc.). Water need not be tested if from an "approved source" which mine comes from a rural water supply company. She was kind enough to come out & look things over (my invitation) before I started setting up or apply for the permit so I wouldn't do a bunch of work & go to a bunch of expense to find some "uncorrectable deficiency." IIRC the cost (which is based on volume) is about 35-40 bux for 2 years? Not really exhorbident fee anyway. There are also specific label requirements to follow.