PDA

View Full Version : feeding

wjw777
04-23-2002, 10:02 AM
started out with 3lb package bees, last Wednesday nite. Queen released on Friday .At that time I put a 1 gallon bucket feeder over the innercover,the weather went from 80 degrees to 30's for day time highs rain and snow mixed how long will a 1 gallon feeder last before I have to go into the hive and refill. I don't want to bother them if I don't have too. Thanks
Walt
Brunswick Ohio

cpecka
04-23-2002, 12:07 PM
I'm feeding one gallon every 4 days as they draw it down.

Chuck

wjw777
04-23-2002, 07:51 PM
Thanks Chuck, I guess its time for me to get in there and give them another bucket of syrup. By the way are you giving 1:1 or 2:1 this weather up here is unbelievible Last week it was in high 70'sand mid 80's this week hope to break mid 50's a couple days and rain in forcast most of time will they be making comb or just eating to live? How long can these bees live on this artifical sweetner? Thanks again for the reply
Wakt

cpecka
04-24-2002, 05:17 AM
I feed 1:1 sugar syrup, On new bees (packages and Nucs) you can feed it till they stop taking it. Granted natural nectar is more nutritional for them but when we need to build them up we do whatever it takes.

You might want to add a pollen supplement if the weather is not cooperating with your goals. Mother Nature does what she wants, but we can assist our bees by providing for their needs early.

Chuck

Robert Brenchley
04-24-2002, 02:21 PM
See how long the bees take to get through the feed. I'm not sure how long the average package will take to get through a gallon of feed (we don't have package bees over here) but it will depend on the bees and the conditions. Check now and then and take it as it goes.

------------------
Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
Birmingham UK