PDA

View Full Version : Sacbrood

Dzug
06-28-2002, 10:14 PM
I'm having quite a year. My one original hive was queenless with a laying worker. I did a shakedown into the weeds and requeened. We'll see how this goes.

My other two hives are new this year. Brand new hive bodies and and foundation with 3# Italian package swarms. I noticed partially uncapped cells and some dead brown larva sitting in some cells. I thought it might be AFB, but there was no "ropiness" and no bad smell. My wife called the bee inspector. He thinks it is Sacbrood and is coming to inspect the hives around the 8th or 9th.

Is it possible that my bees arrived sick or is this the kind of thing that "just happens"?

This is getting frustrating. I have no plans on quitting this hobby, even if it eats my last dollar. I just would like to produce a little bit of honey SOMEDAY!

-Doug

Kevin S. Lunsford
07-03-2002, 10:27 AM
Hello Doug,
Do not give up!!! Not knowing the temperature at that time of year, you may have something as simple as "chilled brood". That is not having enough bees in a new colony to keep all of the brood warm at night. The "ropiness" test for AFB is not 100%. Your local bee inspector will know best. In your area you may want to consider requeening with New World Carniolan's, fast spring bulild-up with smaller colonies in winter.
Kevin