PDA

View Full Version : Honey is on...what next?

caesarshead
06-17-2002, 09:39 AM
I added 1 honey super on both my hives about 1 month ago. The bees are drawing the comb out nicely and I have a couple of frames that have capped honey. Things seem to be moving along pretty well and now I need to start thinking to harvesting the honey.

What is a good "basic" hobbyist setup for honey collection and packaging? I was fortunate enough to find a hand-crank 2 frame extractor so I am at least that far into it.

cider
06-17-2002, 01:19 PM
Going to need some type of strainer and honey storage containers 5 gallon bucket with nylon cloth paint strainer with a honey gate works well.Dadant and brushy bee sell small units or make your own with food grade bucket.

cider
06-18-2002, 01:04 PM
2002 brushy mtn catalog pg 48 has several bottling tank options stainless or plastic bucket.Also need uncapping knife and uncapping tank a cheap utility sink{~$10 plastic} makes a good uncapping tank

Frosty
06-19-2002, 05:34 AM
I have a few frames that are full of honey right now. When exactly do I want to start pulling honey off of the bees, and how much should I leave for them?

caesarshead
06-19-2002, 09:58 AM
Hi group, and thanks for the input to my question.

Here in SC it is generally the rule that you leave the bees a full 6-inch superper hive for food over the winter. That should be ~40-pounds of honey. So far I have resisted pulling a couple of frames just to sample the bees work, but the temptation is growing.