PDA

View Full Version : SICK BEES

super bee
06-29-2002, 04:51 PM
i have some bees with deformed wings and are loooooking pretty sickly.is it from the varroa mites or something else?

Dzug
06-29-2002, 06:37 PM
There is a virus called "Deformed Wing Virus". It's not real common. My book says it multiplies slowly and the infected bees soon die. Varroa transmits this disease.

Call your local bee inspector. The Iowa office's # is 515-281-5736, the university contact is Dr. Donald Lewis at ISU, 515-294-1101

Good luck.

Robert Brenchley
06-30-2002, 05:07 AM
If you're seeing any number of bees with deformed wings, it will almost certainly be deformed wing virus, which is vectored by varroa. Treat at once, and hope it's not too late to save the colony.

------------------
Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
Birmingham UK

super bee
06-30-2002, 05:38 AM
treat for varroa,or the wing disease,what do i use for the wing disease?

Robert Brenchley
06-30-2002, 11:04 AM
Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. treat for varroa. Once a bee has the deformed wings, it's too late to do anything about it. As far as I know, there's no cure for any of these viruses, but if you get the varroa, they will no longer be spread to the new bees. If it's got so far that you can see affected bees in any number, then you have an extremely bad infestation, and you need to treat at once. Use the most effective treatment available, since if you want to save the hive, you've got to kill thise mites straight away while it's still got the strength to recover.

------------------
Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
Birmingham UK