PDA

View Full Version : honey flow and supering

Hugevol
07-22-2002, 06:37 PM
Friends,

I am a new beekeeper having started this year with three hives. One a prime swarm from a bee friend, one a nuc from a local commercial beekeeper, and three a three pound package. I thought it would be fun to see how the different colonied built up. Common bee sence would tell you that the package colony should be behind the other two colonies. However this has not been the case. My package colony has two fully drawn out brood chambers and one full super of honey. In fact tonight I just added another supper to this hive.

Up until one week before I added the first super I had been feeding them sugar water. Most of the beekeepers in my area say the honey flow is over for them. Is it possible the honey in the super is from the sugar water that the bees have moved up stairs? It has not been caped yet. It lookes to be a little darker than sugar water. But that may be the combs.

Thanks for your feedback

Hugh in Nashville

cpecka
07-22-2002, 07:57 PM
It may be mixed with the honey brought up from the honey bound brood frames.

Yes, the flow is over here in Clarksville too and I have about 10-12 gallons to extract on Thursday if the weather cooperates.

Putting on the Menthol shop towels after I take the extracted and cleaned up supers off the hives.

We might get some late honey, as the late season plants are growing good now.

Chuck

Frohnho
07-23-2002, 09:23 PM
Hi,
I started 2 hives this year, One from a 3# package and one from a 5 frame nuke. The hive from the 3# package is working on its second medium super of honey and the hive from the nuke is allmost done drawing out its second brood box. I thought that a package had no chance of making honey in the first year, thats why i got a nuke. Can anybody explain ? All Iknow is I got in my first year and I'm loving it.

Frohnho
07-23-2002, 09:26 PM
Last line should read. All I know is I got Honey in my first year and i'm loving it

donaldmc49
07-28-2002, 08:14 PM
Me Too!
I got a 3# package with queen in April this year from Fairfield, CT. They are busy drawing their FIFTH super of comb. Two full size supers for brood, and 3 of the 6 & 5/8 for honey.
I was reluctant to add the 3rd medium super because the hive is less then 4 months old, but they were making so much burr comb (in 3 days-replaced and filled all I removed!) and filling it with nectar, I was afraid they would swarm! I hope they will finish capping one of these supers soon, so I can take some honey- the hive is getting too tall!

I also heard a package was not suppose to be this successful the first year. Are we having a banner year for honey flow or good "bee weather" or what? I'm real happy with the success of the package as I'm sure you are too, but like yourself; I'm new to beekeeping, and I'm at a loss to explain the good results.

dickm
07-29-2002, 07:00 AM
Hi Donald,
I started with 8 nucs this year. It looks like I'll get about 1 super of honey from each of them. I thought I was doing good till I read your post. Congratulations!
I have a concern that they won't be capped also, And I'm wondering if those 2 deeps have enough honey in them. Did you use beeswax foundation? I'm going to remove everything next week and let the remainder of the foraging go to the bees. Comments anyone?