PDA

View Full Version : Hungry Bees....

Frosty
04-11-2002, 11:28 AM
The girls are really pigging out on the sugar water. I mix a 1.5:1 ratio of sugar to water and the bees really seem to be sucking it down fast. I have a grape jelly jar(2lb.) that I feed them out of and it is empty everyday when I get home from work. Anyone have an idea when they'll slow down with their feeding? A beekeeper in North Central Texas could probably help me better with letting me know when the plants start blossoming enough to be sufficient. Also, what does it mean when a bee is flying side to side in an erratic behaviour? I see some bees do this to me or in front of the hive from time to time. Thanks.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Frosty (edited April 12, 2002).]

Robert Brenchley
04-12-2002, 03:53 PM
Doing it to you sounds like threat behaviour, along with headbutting, which is a favourite trick of my bees. If I don't back off I usually get stung; yours may or may not take it that far. Zig-zag flight as a bee approaches the hive entrance is a sign that it is probably a robber; this will put the bees in a bad temper and may explain their defensiveness. Try reducing the entrance size to make it easier to defend.

------------------
Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
Birmingham UK