PDA

View Full Version : Plastic frames vs. Wooden

Carolina
11-18-2004, 06:02 AM
Would you prefer all plastic one piece frames and foundation or wooden frames with plastic or regular foundation? I plan on ordering my FIRST 2 hivebodies soon. (yeaaahh) What do you suggest and why? I appreciate any advice to point me in the right direction. Thank you -thank you -thank you----Carolina.

Eve
11-18-2004, 06:10 AM
Wood : because when they are broken, I can fix them myself.
Also, I think it's a nicer material, but this is a matter of taste... http://www.beesource.com/ubb/smile.gif

bjerm2
11-18-2004, 06:59 AM
I have yet to replace a 'broken' plastic frame. They hold up better I think and they extract well. When it comes time to clean them then you can just take a hive tool and run it against the wax and the frame and it will remove all the comb. Using hot water will then clean them up more. Mice can't chew thru them that well, wax moth will not hurt them. And I use them in my hives with the Beemax hives. I do use wooden bottom boards and top boards.
Dan

greenbeekeeping
11-18-2004, 08:24 AM
Hi there. I prefer wood frames with black plastic foundation. I don't like the all plastic frames because you get a tremendous amount of bur comb between the hive bodies. It is almost impossible to get apart.

topbee
11-18-2004, 08:44 AM
I have tried ritecell from mannlake for the first time this year. I used the plastic sheets in wooden frames and for the most part it worked o.k. But, I have to agree that with the plastic frames the bees make a mess between the supers. But plastic is the way to go for both time savings and cleanup. The trick to good drawn comb on plastic is making sure you feed them and having a good nectar flow.

Good Luck
Tony

Michael Bush
11-18-2004, 08:58 AM
Except that it's not available in natural cell size, I like the plastic ok. Since I'm only doing small cell I either have wax coated PermaComb (that I wax dipped), small cell foundation (from Dadant) or foundationless frames. If you get a jig (available from Walter Kelly or plans on here) and a pnumatic staple gun it takes very little time and effort to assemble wooden frames.

dtwilliamson
11-18-2004, 09:43 AM
I have used both wood and plastic. I used plastic frames this year for the 1st time. I will never use wood again. I like black Pierco frames for brood and white Ritecell (Mann Lake) for my supers. Bees drew both out well when sprayed with sugar syrup.

Dan

wayacoyote
11-18-2004, 05:35 PM
I have both and prefer wood, hands down. As has been stated, the plastic ones may be propolised more. My major complaint is that, when I try prying apart frames, wheither to pull on, or just to move the frames around, the plastic ones of mine will bow. I am always concerned that I am going to shatter one. I haven't, but only because I use A LOT greater care with them than I do with the wooden frames. I have a lot of tricks that I employ to insure that I don't break one. With wood, I just pry them apart with no worries.

If it is a question of the pros of plastic foundation, I would choose to use plastic in wooden frame.

One down side is that I had a lot of wax moth damage this year due to weak hives. And wood definately doesn't hold up to the larvae. But that is more of an issue of my poor management than the fault of the wood.
WayaCoyote