PDA

View Full Version : Screened bottom boards

sparrow
12-17-2001, 10:30 AM
I'm starting two hives in the spring and have read about the advantages of using screened bottom boards. Can these be used all year long? What effect does this have on air flow and temp. control?
Thanks,
Sparrow

joelz
12-17-2001, 07:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sparrow:
I'm starting two hives in the spring and have read about the advantages of using screened bottom boards. Can these be used all year long? What effect does this have on air flow and temp. control?
Thanks,
Sparrow<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
use them yearround screens have no adverse effect on your hive they will provide 15% reduction in mites,.... joel

sparrow
12-18-2001, 08:22 AM
Thanks Joel,
I'm going to try to make some from the plans on the Web site.
Sparrow

joelz
12-18-2001, 05:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sparrow:
Thanks Joel,
I'm going to try to make some from the plans on the Web site.
Sparrow<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>plans are easy measure the demensions of your hive body, then with 3/4" x 3/4" strips of wood sandwich #8 hardware cloth between the strips leaving one strip off the front and stapling the cloth down where you left the strip off, now take your bottom board and reverse it end for end, lay the screen ontop of the bottom board and place your hive on the screen, now you will have a space behind your hive and this is for a 1/4" piece of plywood to slide under the screen, attach a piece of wood to the plywood to seal up the back of your hive tack contact paper onto the plywood and insert under the screen, now you can monitor whats happining in your hive by pulling the sheet out and inspect for mites for every mite you find there are approx. 1000 mites in your hive,,, joel