PDA

View Full Version : Hives- wooden or polystyrene

admiral_d
07-31-2002, 10:26 AM
Ok, this wannna bee beekeeper is also looking at equipment, specifically hives....

New product- polystyrene hive....The advertising hype says that you all [beekeepers] like them better...I suspect that you all are a bit shy about them...

So, those of you who have a couple of them...how do they do with new swarm? Do they winter/summer better? What about propolus [spell]? Wear and tear? [I know you can not throw them about, as they are made like your cheap ice keeper]...

Whatcha say to these thingy?

What advantages do wood have over the polystyrene?

Kevin S. Lunsford
08-02-2002, 10:39 AM
Hello,
Wood, wood,wood!!!!!!!
The others are glorified coolers from 7-11.
I was at the Dadant branch in Va. when a man brought back 10 deep "coolers" because two of his new packages refused to stay in them-they would cluster on the stand. What wood you use depends on money. I have cedar supers that have been in use since 1983 (but do not hold paint very well). The standard is pine and will last many years-just try not to pry the corners too much.
Kevin

The Honey House
08-02-2002, 05:21 PM
I'd have to whole heartly concur with Kevin!
I had a couple of swarms given to me this year that where shook down into some of
the stryo stuff. When I placed them, the bees all came out and clustered on the front. I left them like that over night thinking that as it cooled off they'd go inside. Next morning they were still hanging out! I replaced the stryo with a wooden set up and they marched right in.