PDA

View Full Version : Feeding bees

dharbert
06-24-2002, 07:55 AM
I installed two hives of bees last Thursday about 8:00am. The bees were from two nucs and I put them into 10 frame hives. I put a Miller type feeder on one and a gallon pail type plastic feeder on the other. Saturday morning about 10 am I went to check on the feeders. They were both empty. One hive is stronger than the other and I found they had pulled comb on two of the new frames(Pierco). My question is "How often should I fill the feeder and should I be using a hive-top feeder now or just pail or glass jar feeders? http://www.beesource.com/ubb/smile.gif

Pepper1079
06-24-2002, 11:26 AM
The hive top feeder is my favorite, but the others are fine. I keep feed on mine as long as they have comb to draw. When they lose interest in the feed, you'll know that it's time to quit.

------------------
Jim

clintonbemrose
06-24-2002, 02:02 PM
I have used both miller type and the bucket feeder and both seem to work very good but the glass jar/boardman can cause robbing between colonies

------------------
Clinton Bemrose

Hugevol
06-25-2002, 07:33 AM
If you are planning on going into winter with two deeps fully drawn I would feed them non stop until September. Even if there is a flow on they may use the feed at night to build up the foundation.

dharbert
06-25-2002, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all of you input. I have noticed that the bees don't seem to be foraging very much. Could this be because they are eating syrup and not going out? I am going to continue feeding them but maybe not so much at a time.

dharbert
06-25-2002, 09:43 AM
Thanks for all of your input. I have noticed that the bees don't seem to be foraging very much. Could this be because they are eating syrup and not going out? I am going to continue feeding them but maybe not so much at a time.