Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How Do You Arrange Your Hives

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

Given unintentional downwind drift when hives are arranged in rows; how do those of you with lot's o' hives prefer to arrange them?

#2 ·
I always try to arrange them in a "U"-form or at least as a "V" with the front sides pointing at the middle.
Here in my backyard I have 3 of the "U"s and the open end comes out on a path.
In the mid of every "U" is something special, a blue bucket, a small tree, a big stone, for easy recognizing.
It's not recommanded to walk on this path because it's the bee highway.
They are coming in with an enourmous speed, slow down at their special "U" , curve in and dive down exactly to their hive.

When I had them in rows always the first and the last hive became much stronger in the season because of the drift.

#3 ·
I normally place my splits and nucs on the end of my rows so that they intentionally receive any drifters. My strongest hives are in the middle of the rows. In my outyards, where I have fewer hives, I place my splits or nucs on the downwind side of the other hives.

#5 ·
How close to each other do you set your hives? Mine are 12-15 ft (4-5m) apart and I didn't notice any significant drifting. I had some in an "U" formation and I changed that to allow all of them to get the morning sun during cold times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.