PDA

View Full Version : Removing a hive from a house

moposcar
04-05-2002, 10:06 AM
I am a new beekeeper, and don't know much about all the practices. I have 2 hives currently, and there is a big hive residing in my brothers house. i am wanting to transfer them over to a hive body using the instructions from this site, the problem is that I don't have any drawn comb for a new hive. Do I need to have drawn comb, and also, do I need to get a new queen?

Thanks

tworedroseman
04-05-2002, 04:45 PM
Moposcar: try to find a bee keeper near you that will sell you at least two frames of new brood and bees - really new eggs - and then set up and use the screen cone and neuc box method of removal. Roy

tworedroseman
04-05-2002, 04:52 PM
Moposcar: looked at your message again; if you have two hives pull at least one frame of drawn comb with the bees and larva - again really new larva - use a neuc hive (Ilike a five frame neuc because it's easy to handle or standard hive, place the frames of bees and larva in the hive with several frames of foundation then shake down one or two more frames of bees into the new hive box (be sure you don't shake down the queen) Then use the cone method to remove the bees from the house. With new larva the bees in the new hive will raise another queen. Roy

moposcar
04-06-2002, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the reply. Is April in Oklahoma a good time to transfer the bees?

tworedroseman
04-06-2002, 01:47 PM
Moposcar: don't know about the weather in Ok - I live in N. W. Fla, but as soon as the bees are flying you could begin attempting to remove them from the tree. If the tree is on the ground you might just go ahead and split it open, salvage as much comb as you can. Tie it in frames - with good fortune you mught even find the queen on one of the pieces of comb. Put the temp. comb and frames in a hive and if the queen is in there the bees will follow. Roy

tworedroseman
04-06-2002, 01:49 PM
Moposcar: confused you with Woodcutter who reported having a bee tree on the ground - sorry. This would still be a good time to begin trying to get the bees out of the house. Roy

moposcar
04-08-2002, 06:13 AM
Thanks guys. I will probably find a bee man close to us and try to buy the frames of brood and bees b/c my hives are relatively small and have been neglected for 10+ years. It is amazing that they are still alive since the bottom board/entry was rotted away, and the hives were essentially on the ground. Also, their comb is not perfect in the frames, and in fact it runs cross wise with the frames. I have new hive bodies for them and am trying to rebuild them. Thanks again for the information.

Oscar

cpecka
04-08-2002, 09:32 AM
Still Alive after 10 years of Neclect! Where are you located? you may have something there! <resistance>

cpecka

moposcar
04-12-2002, 10:24 PM
I live in South Central to South West Oklahoma. I have talked to some bee folks around here, and they are having real trouble with mites in their hives and such and were surprised our bees were making it through. I really was too, and when I went out there this winter to collect all the hives to clean them up and see what I needed to buy this year to get started, these two hives made noises when I started prying them apart. Now whether they have just been alternating and dieing off every year, I don't know. I do know they are strong and healthy so far this spring, but I have been feeding them this winter. I will try to check their mite population later this year, or next spring.