PDA

View Full Version : Capped Brood

Frosty
04-18-2002, 07:02 AM
I've spotted capped brood! There was a very nice frame full of brood when I did an inspection yesterday and the bees seem to be doing fairly well. I moved some of the brood into a part of the hive where the comb is pretty slim to try and expand the building of comb. Is this an okay idea?

Chris

NewBee
04-18-2002, 09:14 AM
Hi Frosty, Be careful where you place the brood. Close to the middle of the super is the best. The bees need to cover the brood if the temp goes down and generally the center area is most protective. Steve

Robert Brenchley
04-18-2002, 03:22 PM
I move combs around quite a lot while they're building, in order to encourage the bees to draw them straight. I use strips a lot rather than complete frames of foundation, and they often go askew, in which case I just trim off the bad bits and shove them back in between two straight ones. I don't separate combs of brood from the broodnest, and I only place them on the outside of the broodbox in summery weather.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
Birmingham, UK

[This message has been edited by Robert Brenchley (edited April 18, 2002).]

BILLY BOB
04-20-2002, 04:01 PM
Hi chris,

Try not to move the drawn/brood frames to other parts of the hive. Just put one frame of foundation in the middle of the "cluster" of drawn frames.

If your brood frames get to far away from the main cluster it will be harder for the worker bees to take care of them. They will not be fed, and kept warm or cool.

Billy Bob

Frosty
04-24-2002, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys.

Chris