Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

help! please advise honey bound

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Matt NY 
#1 ·
I need advice on my situation posted in Honey in Brood Box. I think I am on the right track, but I would feel better hearing some pros and cons from the folks that have a much better handle on what I have here.

Basically about 7 capped frames of honey in my upper hive body, two are uncapped and a drone frame. There are two supers on, one full of uncapped honey and one of recently drawn comb.

I went too slow, because I didn't realize they were ready for supers. I put the last super on friday, this had foundation only. The first super went on 7-5, that was mostly drawn.

This colony is from a nuc I got on 5-23.

Matt

#2 ·
Your plan is fine. You can take a few frames of they are fully capped. It is not an emergency. You can take honey from capped frames, or add a third "and maybe fourth and fifth" super. Either way will result in open space for them to work, and that is your main goal.

#3 ·
Since you are talking about the upper brood box you're probably not in too bad of shape. What are things like in the first brood box? I had major honey bound issues in both upper and low brood boxes. I swear there was like 4 square inches of brood on one frame in the bottom brood box. All of the rest of the deep frames in both brood boxes were either mix, scattered capped brood and capped, or uncapped honey, or full frames of honey.

This is what I did:
I pulled four frames, a couple even had little areas of brood that I was able to uncap around, and extracted. I got nearly one-and-half gallons of honey out of about 3-1/2 frames. I then put these back in the bottom brood box, in a checkerboard patter, along with a couple of new undrawn frames (I took the full honeybound ones and put them in a weaker have that needed them).

I checked a few days later and things were looking normal again. Nice brood patterns in the bottom box, and they were starting to really work the super I had added.

Quint

#4 ·
I didn't even get as far as the bottom brrod box. I really wasn't happy to be tearing it down like that. After I closed up and thought about, I realized I should have checked further down. I don't have a lot of thoughts going on when I'm in there. I just try to stay focused. I'm still very new at this.

Thanks

#5 ·
Matt i do the same thing. I tend to be somewhat apprehensive and I sometimes forget to do some of the things i should be doing during hive inspections. i have been writing a list with large letters so i can read it without having to pick it up and setting it near my bee gear box so I can stay on track and not forget anything. I can' wait to have capped frames of honey. I will probably get so excited i'll leave my hive tool in the bottom brood box or something rediculous like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.