PDA

View Full Version : new and confused

GeorgiaB
10-27-2001, 02:49 PM
I am new in the Bee world.I have always wanted to try some hives but never have.I live in southeast Georgia and I am planning to purchase my equipment around December or the first of January.I have cleared out a wooded area about 200 yards from my home. I left a tree barrier and cut a small road into where I am going to have my hives located. The wooded area was mostly oak, but I cleared about a 50x50 yard square out. I plan to start with 2 or 4 hives just to get the hang of it before investing like I really want to(or make sure I enjoy it as much as I think I will). Do I need to plant anything around my hive area. I have a Euclyptics tree and a Japanese loquat already
in the area but would I need any other kinds of plants that would help.

timg
10-31-2001, 07:02 PM
Check with local bee keepers to find out what Georgia bees like. It also will depend on your suroundings. Bees will travel great distances for food.

------------------
Tim Gifford

Andrey
11-02-2001, 11:01 AM
I am in Marietta, GA and have 6 hive this year. I keep my bees in a subdivision and do not have any special trees around my house. In the area we have farms and i gess bees flying there. This year was extremly good I extracted 3 times and got over 15 buckets of honey total.

hope this helps,
Andrey.

BILLY BOB
11-06-2001, 02:30 PM
GeorgiaB,

I'm from Monroe Ga! I would think that planting trees/flowers for your bees to work would take a lot more than what you want to spend money on. It's cheaper to take your bees to the type of nectar/pollen you want.

Billy Bob

jlk
11-17-2001, 07:15 PM
I generally just keep the bees in mind when choosing landscaping plants for around the house and yard.It wouldn"t cost effective to plant a "crop"just for thr bees.They need alot of nectar and pollen and they can go a long way to get it.I try to plant things that bloom during nectar and pollen derths,early spring,mid summer ,late fall etc.I keep five hives in a cental alabama orchard. good luck,JOHN

------------------
jlk

stytko
11-19-2001, 12:39 PM
Hi!

There is a bee supplier in Moultrie GA that should be able to give you some good advice. It's Rossman Apiaries. You can find them at www.gabees.com. (http://www.gabees.com.)

Good luck!

Stan Tytko