PDA

View Full Version : Queen stopped laying and then started back?

sparrow
05-20-2002, 07:59 PM
In one of my two hives the queen just stopped laying, workers made about 4 queen cells in about 10 days,which I cut out, then the original queen started laying again. There is no capped brood but as of today, lots of larvae in various stages and eggs- in a good brood pattern? Maybe these were swarm cells? and the workers quit feeding the queen to stop her from laying? I did add another super of foundation last week?
Any guesses?

[This message has been edited by sparrow (edited May 20, 2002).]

Dee A. Lusby
05-26-2002, 02:28 PM
Hi

You wrote:
In one of my two hives the queen just stopped laying, workers made about 4 queen cells in about 10 days,which I cut out, then the original queen started laying again. There is no capped brood but as of today, lots of larvae in various stages and eggs- in a good brood pattern? Maybe these were swarm cells? and the workers quit feeding the queen to stop her from laying? I did add another super of foundation last week?
Any guesse

Reply:
I would imaging you added the other super of foundation because the hive was getting crowded and needed room. Shortness of room would trigger swarming impulse with the workers.

But by you adding the super of foundation you opened the hive up and at the same time cut the swarm cells and sat back and watched and gambled you guessed right for what you were seeing.

Congradulations! you guessed right. I now assume the foundation is being drawn out and the queen is laying and the bees now have another super to successfully work with.

Good Job!

Chow

Dee A. Lusby